It's Time For Bacon - The Buckboard Express

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by smoking b, Mar 22, 2014.

1. I discovered today that I have exhausted my extensive bacon reserve  [​IMG]   [​IMG]   [​IMG]   I thought I had another couple packs but apparently it was only in my dreams.  [​IMG]    [​IMG]

So I decided to take a pork butt & give it a ticket on the Buckboard Express  [​IMG]

I started with this 11 lb butt.

I deboned it then split it in half.

Injector sanitized & ready.

All mixed up.

First half injected

with 8 oz.

& into the vacuum tumbler with 8 more oz.

Here it is tumbling - it gets a 2 hr ride.

Done

In my brining bucket with 16 oz curing brine.

2nd half injected & ready for its 2 hr ride.

Once it gets done it will go in my brining bucket with the other one. They will go in my fridge overnight to finish curing. Tomorrow I will take them out, form a pellicle & give them their first round of smoke.

Updates to follow...

disco likes this.
  2. woodcutter

woodcutter Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I thought we decided the tumbler was against the rules.[​IMG]

3. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

SB, your on quite a roll lately with all your smokin, makin me jealous !! Haha.... I'am sure watching this thread as would like to do some bacon at some point, bet it's tasty stuff !!

Justin

4. Ha! I'm fairly certain that's just a rumor floating around the internet - probably started by someone trying to create a wave of panic once they saw how fast the Buckboard Express went!  [​IMG]  

5. Thanks Justin  [​IMG]   Yeah it is good stuff! 

6. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hmmmmm, So after injecting & vacuum tumbling, it only needs overnight curing in the fridge?

Interesting---Cuts down on waiting 10 days or so.

Why is this the first Ole Bear ever heard of this???

[​IMG]

Bear

7. Hi Bear - yup this way is very quick for BBB & it's the way I ALWAYS make it now. I still dry cure my bellies but for me the Buckboard Express is the only way to go for this  [​IMG]

Here is a thread I made a while ago about it  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/148725/bbb-the-quick-way

8. I will be back later & update & add pics - family is here today so I'm gonna spend some time with them  [​IMG]  

9. newsmokeguy

newsmokeguy Smoke Blower

I so need 2 learn to do this and make bacon of my own U make lots of cool stuff!

10. Thanks man  [​IMG]   It's easy to do & much better than store bought - give it a try!  [​IMG]

11. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That vacuum technique is way cool! Thanks for posting the link.

Another lesson learned on SMF.

Disco

12. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Bacon? Bacon? Did someone say Bacon?

Mmmmmmmmm...................Bacon!

13. tsulcoski

tsulcoski Smoke Blower

Are the prok butts your using enhanced with a solution or are they natural?

14. You're quite welcome Disco  [​IMG]   Glad you found it useful. There is no difference in quality using this method & it's so quick & easy I can't help but love it!  [​IMG]  

15. Sure did Foam - BACON!!!!   [​IMG]    [​IMG]    [​IMG]
    They are just plain old pork butts - nothing fancy  [​IMG]  

16. Ok Phase 2

Rack waiting on the meat.

& here they are. I have a fan blowing to help form the pellicle & then these will go in for some smoke...

Updates to follow...

17. beeflover

beeflover Smoke Blower

Im watching 2

18. Good deal - it's easy to do  [​IMG]

19. Next step - a great pellicle has formed so it's time for them to go in the smoker.

Very nice pellicle on these  [​IMG]   AMNPS in the corner ready to be loaded with hickory pellets.

In the smoker they went to soak up the hickory goodness. This is a cold smoke - I don't hot smoke bacon. Once these are done they will go in the fridge overnight & I will make the call tomorrow as to whether or not to give them another round of smoke.

Updates to follow...

20. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You have the luckiest neighbors, I bet the land around your smoker area is more valuable property where that smoke can get to than any where else in the county!