It's Time For Bacon - The Buckboard Express

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking b

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2012
Middle of Nowhere, South Central PA
I discovered today that I have exhausted my extensive bacon reserve 
eek.gif

icon_eek.gif

eek.gif
  I thought I had another couple packs but apparently it was only in my dreams. 
102.gif

head-wall.gif

So I decided to take a pork butt & give it a ticket on the Buckboard Express 
icon_mrgreen.gif

I started with this 11 lb butt.

I deboned it then split it in half.

Injector sanitized & ready.

All mixed up.

First half injected

with 8 oz.

& into the vacuum tumbler with 8 more oz.

Here it is tumbling - it gets a 2 hr ride.

Done

In my brining bucket with 16 oz curing brine.

2nd half injected & ready for its 2 hr ride.

Once it gets done it will go in my brining bucket with the other one. They will go in my fridge overnight to finish curing. Tomorrow I will take them out, form a pellicle & give them their first round of smoke.

Updates to follow...

Reactions: disco
SB, your on quite a roll lately with all your smokin, makin me jealous !! Haha.... I'am sure watching this thread as would like to do some bacon at some point, bet it's tasty stuff !!

Justin

Hmmmmm, So after injecting & vacuum tumbling, it only needs overnight curing in the fridge?

Interesting---Cuts down on waiting 10 days or so.

Why is this the first Ole Bear ever heard of this???

popcorn.gif

Bear

Hmmmmm, So after injecting & vacuum tumbling, it only needs overnight curing in the fridge?

Interesting---Cuts down on waiting 10 days or so.

Why is this the first Ole Bear ever heard of this???

popcorn.gif

Bear
Hi Bear - yup this way is very quick for BBB & it's the way I ALWAYS make it now. I still dry cure my bellies but for me the Buckboard Express is the only way to go for this 
smile.gif

Here is a thread I made a while ago about it  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/148725/bbb-the-quick-way

That vacuum technique is way cool! Thanks for posting the link.

Another lesson learned on SMF.

Disco

Next step - a great pellicle has formed so it's time for them to go in the smoker.

Very nice pellicle on these 
thumbsup.gif
  AMNPS in the corner ready to be loaded with hickory pellets.

In the smoker they went to soak up the hickory goodness. This is a cold smoke - I don't hot smoke bacon. Once these are done they will go in the fridge overnight & I will make the call tomorrow as to whether or not to give them another round of smoke.

Updates to follow...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky