It's that time of year again...Win a prize a day from A-MAZE-N Products through 11/22!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

At our house... It's all about the bird. One goes in the OVEN and the other goes on the SMOKER!

We do the same thing at my house. Wife cooks one in the oven the way she likes it and I cook one in the smoker. She likes the smoked as well but cannot break from the traditional way and having the house smell good from the cooking turkey.

[h6]Ingredients[/h6]
  • 2 sticks butter cut into 3/4-inch slices
  • Salt and cayenne pepper
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
  • 3 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 8 to 10 Cajun Chef Brand Sport Peppers
  • 3 tablespoons pickle juice from the pepper jars
  • 1 small turkey, about 10 to 12 pounds
  • 1/2 recipe of Boudin sausage
[h6]Directions[/h6]
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Season the butter with salt and cayenne pepper and freeze the butter for 30 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the onions, peppers, garlic, sport peppers, and pickle juice together. Season the mixture with salt and cayenne pepper.

Place a large towel on a cutting board. Place the turkey directly on top of the cloth. This will prevent the turkey from sliding. Remove the neck, gizzards and livers from the cavity of the turkey. Rinse the turkey under cool water and pat dry with paper towels. Place the turkey, breast side up, on the work surface with the cavity facing you. Using a sharp knife, make three slits on either side of the breast bone, without breaking through the skin. Insert 2 to 3 slices of the frozen butter into each slit. Season each slit with salt and cayenne pepper. Insert about a teaspoon of the vegetable mixture into each slit, pushing with your fingers. Carefully stuff the boudin sausage in-between the flesh and skin. Gently pull the drumstick forward and outward to expose the inner thigh Pull the skin away from the meat. Make a slit following the bone line from the top of each leg. Using your index finger, make a path and stuff with the butter and vegetables. Season the skin which has been loosened around the inner thigh with salt and cayenne pepper. Turn the turkey breast side up, with the neck opening facing you. Lift the skin flap and make a slit down each wing from the shoulder, again following the bone lines. Stuff each wing with butter and vegetables. Season the outside of the turkey with salt and cayenne pepper. Stuff the cavity with any leftover boudin sausage, butter and vegetables. Secure the wings by folding the lower half back over the top of the wing. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine Place the turkey in a large deep roasting pan.

Roast the turkey for 15 to 20 minutes. Lower the heat to 350 degrees F. Cover the turkey with a lid and bake for about 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear. Remove from the pan and let cool for 10 minutes. Lift the turkey our of the pan and carve. Serve with the pan juices.

Time to throw a little Coonazz twist to that Thanksgiving bird.

I did some of these for the first time about a month ago, and was not only impressed, but enough so that I have talked the in-laws into getting a whole box for all of us to dig into along with the usual bird, stuffing,  sweet and mashed potatoes and all the other fixin's.

Smoked crab legs! I'll pull them from the freezer, let them run under cold water for a little bit to thaw  (they are fully cooked already) then I ran them on the XL with some apple wood at around 300 for 20-30 mins. THEY WERE AMAZING. Sweet, juice runs down your arm, juuuuust enough smoke to enhance the flavor like you're eating them straight off the fire on the beach.

Damn, that bunch in the freezer now might get trotted out before next week!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.