It's Here!!! - The Chargriller Smokin' Pro!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meowey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 16, 2006
Northern NY (Adirondacks)
Howdy Folks,

Yahhhh-hooooo!!!!

The new toy (I mean smoking tool arrived today! WTG FedEx!!)

I assembled it in about 2 hours with no help other than the boss (Mrs. Meowey) asking "Are you sure that's right?". While I was putting it together I applied two of the easiest mods that have been described in posts here. I used furnace cement to seal the opening between the firebox and the cooking chamber, around the thermo, the smokestack and the lid, and under the aluminum dryer vent (2nd mod) and the bottom of the smokestack to extend it down to grate level. The dryer vent was mechanically attached using the "hose clamp" that came with it.

The cooking grates are being cured in the oven as this is being written. I'm going to spray the inside of the smoker and firebox with vegetable oil. Next, I'm going to build a small fire to cure the furnace cement according to it's instructions and then take the smoker up to around 300F to season it.

Here are some pre-fire pics.

Smoker - What a sight to behold!

smoker1jf2.jpg

Seal around stack - cement oozed through on bolt tightening

smoker2hd4.jpg

Seal at firebox

smoker3nr2.jpg

Vent mod - Stack and thermo seal

smoker4xw2.jpg

Hopefully I can get a pic of some thin blue. When I use it tomorrow to smoke a butt, I'm going to use a restaurant steam table pan filled with water near the fire box to hopefully act as a baffle.

More later!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Well its a few hours later. The grates have been seasoned in the oven. I built a small fire to cure the cement. I added a big chimney of lump and hickory chunks to the firebox and took it up to 300F. It burned for about an hour and then started to cool so I added a couple shovels of unlit lump and a few more hickory chunks, cut the air intake to about 1/3 open and it leveled off at about 250F. I took the grates out of the oven and put them in the smoker to pick up some smoke.

Here is a pic of the thin blue!

offsetthinbluecq3.jpg

To answer a couple of the questions;

Yes it does come with a coal grate and drip tray for the main chamber as it is also meant to be used as a grill.

I did not fasten the lower end of the dryer vent pipe. As I think it was MrGrumpy had said the pipe will keep it's shape and does not flop around. I used about half of the pipe I bought and it's supposed to stretch out to 8 feet. The material is still compressed enough to be fairly rigid.

Hope I answered the questions.

Hope to do a fatty or three tomorrow and a butt on Thursday.

Regards,

Meowey

Gypsy

I've read about that. It is fairly adjustable because you can raise or lower either end without removing the grates for when you are in the middle of grilling something.

Regards,

Meowey

I bought my son one of those for his b'day. I've cooked on it a couple times while my deraly departad Bertha was in the hospital(shop). it's a real nice little unit.

Gypsy's tip is a good one IMHO. I never raised one end or the other. but it makes a great baffle. I think it may even add to the flavor because the grease drips onto it, then smokes back up on the food,

Good Score Meowey!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Go Smoke 'em

Smoke looks great , but where theres smoke theres always beer, need to put one in the pic so we know it's being cured right
icon_biggrin.gif

A couple other little things. I used all the extra bolts and nuts to plug up some of the extra holes (like for the warming rack) in the rig. I also put a crescent wrench on the back of the stock thermo to try to get it to read correctly in the range of 235-250F as measured by the digital probe I had stuck inside.

Regards,

Meowey

Meowey,

That will compliment your GOSM well. Its great to have a couple smoker options at your finger tips. I know you have done your homework and will enjoy it. Let us know after several smokes what hunks 'o meat you prefer in which one ...............

Enjoy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky