Is my butt to big???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jnstrom

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Ok...here is my delema. I have an 8 pound butt (you know what I mean!) I was planning to get a 6 pounder but this is all they had at the butcher. Should I cut it down. I was hoping to have a 10 hour smoke but if I have to get up early I will.

Any insight on this problem would be greatly appreciated!!!

Im cookin it on my B-day for my buds at the local watering hole.

I would just get up early. Your not going to get 8lbs of meat. Plus you would rather have too much, instead of not enough. 2lbs is not going to make a big difference in cooking time. So, do you think my butt is too big?

grany you crack me up.

One more question. Do I add in the 1 hour in the cooler to the approx cook time or is it added at the end?

I have to be their around 4pm or 5pm when do you think I should start? 4am-5am?

It is added at the end. You could always throw it in the oven and crank some heat to it to get done. My smoker only goes to 275*. This is not the best way, but if you have a deadline then it will work. Put it in the smoker at 225* until about 160* and then throw in the oven with the heat cranked up. Pork Butt is almost impossible to mess up. It always ends up tender and juicy. If I had to have one ready by 4pm I would put it on the day before about 8 pm just to be safe.

Hmmmm an over night cook. I have never done that. Is my gas GOSM good to go? What type of time line should I look at. 8pm-8am smoke (just approx times) 8-10am cooler. 10am pull apart and foil it 3pm reheat with low temp until I head out to the watering hole at 4?

I could start at 5am then? (my hope).

or 3am?

or 12:01 crack a beer and start to celebrate my over the hill the right way.

Just keep in mind that properly foiled, wrapped in towels and placed in the cooler, it will stay plenty hot for at least 5-6 hours. Makes it a little easier to plan around the time schedule.

Great advice!!! Thanks a ton.

I think Ill start at mid-night at 250 I hope to pull it around 10-noon then cooler it! Pull it with the finishing sauce that is posted around 3. I appreciate all the great info everyone gives here. QView will follow!

Thanks bubba! I might bump up my 250 to 275 and cooler it for a longer time.

This has worked great for me so far. I did it with Bison Prime Rib Roast at Christmas. Stayed nice and warm in the towels in the cooler while I waited for relatives in laws. Less stressful too!
icon_smile.gif

Ill check it out. Ill search for the thread. Sounds interesting.

Ok couldnt find it on search what is the chef's bonus strips. (sounds like Im being set up for a joke but Ill play along).
eek.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky