Is it bad to smoke meat in a shed??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Scott, with all of these helpful hints, I am thinking $4-5 grand for such a building. Running electric, the building, vents, etc. Being 61 and semi retired I thought I could get this off the ground but with a possible move south and the future? I really think I will just suck it up for now and cook outside even in the snow! Love this hobby very very much and will endure the cold to get great BBQ for family and friends I believe. Hope you find what you need. The people here are fantastic with ideas and help! Mike
I only use my electric in the shed.

Richie

It is right at the edge of the door way

Ya know all you need is a simple covered area with ceiling heaters. We design them into most of our houses now. The roof will protect from the elements and the heaters keep you warm. Even just the free standing propane heaters work great. If the wife would let me I could build a nice one for under $1,000.

Ya know all you need is a simple covered area with ceiling heaters. We design them into most of our houses now. The roof will protect from the elements and the heaters keep you warm. Even just the free standing propane heaters work great. If the wife would let me I could build a nice one for under $1,000.

Ya know all you need is a simple covered area with ceiling heaters. We design them into most of our houses now. The roof will protect from the elements and the heaters keep you warm. Even just the free standing propane heaters work great. If the wife would let me I could build a nice one for under $1,000

So if it was only a grand for one of these buildings with ceiling heaters that would be doable. But with the animals in my wooded area where this building would be wouldn't they get into my stuff and be a problem without it locked up? Just don't know. Will keep asking around I guess. Thanks for the

A shed is not an airtight building.  Put a window in one or two walls.  Crack the door open.  Or use a garage with the overhead door raised a few inches.

I use a 30' x 50' metal shed with an air vent in the ridge line.  It has 4 windows, 2 single car overhead doors, and a side entrance door.  When I start the charcoal the chimney starter is on the charcoal grill of a Weber Smokey Joe sitting in front of a raised overhead door.  I move the fire to the base of the 22" WSM and once the smoking slows down I close up the shed.

I'll sit on a lawn chair in the shed off-and-on for hours with no ill effects.

If there's too much smoke I'll open a window or two for cross ventilation.

You really can't beat smoking in a shed because there's no problem if it's windy outside and no matter how cold it is the shed is more comfortable with the smoker burning.

I sit back with a cup of coffee and a lighted pipe while listening to the radio and monitoring the smoker temperature.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Daniel, thanks for your imput... With everything I have read from people here I am still up in the air with everything... Metal building might be cheaper than a cedar wood siding.  Will look into everything then get back to the group with my findings.. adding windows, fans, etc will be my tricky part. I am not the most handy with tools, etc... Hoping friends help out!  Thanks... Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky