Is a 2nd generation used MES 40" worth $100?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks red, I'm kinda leaning that way (amnps) myself. Just not sure if the cold smoker has any advantages.

OK all thanks for the advice both in this thread and via PM. I ended up getting the 40" for 100. Might upgrade to a smokin-it in the future but I wanted to get smoking and the price was right. Everything works fine. Should I pick up the cold smoker attachment for 42 or the amnps for 30?
AMNPS is my vote.  It takes no electricity to run so it has no failure points.  It can be moved or put into a mailbox mod later if you want for little money and again no electrical point of failure.  Finally you can run up to 9-12 hours of smoke with the AMNPS and I think the cold smoking attachment only does 6.

Reactions: redoctobyr
OK here's an update for all who have been following along. Just ordered the amnps and 4 bags (8 lbs) pellets. 20% off the pellets with code AUG2017. total came to 50.17 for a grand total of 150.17 spent on smoker so far(including pellets.) I tested the smoker with multiple temp. probes and although the probe that came connected in the smoker is off by 10-15 degrees the temp did not fluctuate much at all surprisingly. Just bought some St. Louis spare ribs for the first test run. Thanks again for all the help.

Yeah Red I got two lbs. Of each of the following: maple, hickory, apple, and pitmaster's choice. I'm gonna try the ribs using the smoker tray with chunks of apple I have from a tree that blew over from a crazy wind storm we had in NY this winter.

Also saw a once used MES on Craigslist today for 50 but I can't tell if it's the 30 or 40. I hope it's the 30! Lol

Also saw a once used MES on Craigslist today for 50 but I can't tell if it's the 30 or 40. I hope it's the 30! Lol
I bought a fully functional Gen2 MES40 for $40-45 on Craigslist a while back!

I rewired it and put a PID controller on it.  It was my Guinea pig rewire experiment to learn from so I could do my real Gen1 MES rewire and PID job.

The rewired Gen2 came out great and so I gave it to my mother as a gift :)

That was one heck find on my end hahaha.

I bought a fully functional Gen2 MES40 for $40-45 on Craigslist a while back!

I rewired it and put a PID controller on it.  It was my Guinea pig rewire experiment to learn from so I could do my real Gen1 MES rewire and PID job.
The rewired Gen2 came out great and so I gave it to my mother as a gift :)

That was one heck find on my end hahaha.

Can't beat that!

Temp difference when I open the vent to give the amnps some air via the wood tube is about 35 degrees between my good probe and the smoker probe. Glad I tested it out with these st. Louis ribs before I put the brisket on tomorrow. The amnps went out at first but now it's going well. Now that I've learned the smoker I can get away without any modifications but they probably would make things easier. Got temp set at 270 and I'm smoking right in between 225 and 235. I'm happy with that... for the price!

Temp difference when I open the vent to give the amnps some air via the wood tube is about 35 degrees between my good probe and the smoker probe. Glad I tested it out with these st. Louis ribs before I put the brisket on tomorrow. The amnps went out at first but now it's going well. Now that I've learned the smoker I can get away without any modifications but they probably would make things easier. Got temp set at 270 and I'm smoking right in between 225 and 235. I'm happy with that... for the price!
Congrats on the learning experience and successful smoke!

I have some humidity problems with my pellets that have caused some less then ideal burning.

I think the solution I use would also help you out as well since it helps ensure max burning potential.

I microwave my pellets for 1 min.  Let them set for 2 min.  Stir them around and microwave for 1 minute again.

After that I have no issues with my initial pellet lighting staying lit and I have had no issues with pellets trying to go out on me at all.

I know you are working on air flow issues for pellet burn but it wouldn't hurt to also eliminate any humidity issues in the pellets.  You can't even tell by looking at them that they are retaining humidity.

Best of luck on your smoking! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky