Iowa Chops and more w/q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daboys

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 30, 2008
Ft. Dodge Ia
Today is our anniversary. 28 years. Gave the wife a choice of going out to eat or I could smoke something at home. Decided to stay home. She wanted my Iowa chops. I've never done these on the smoker. Done them for years on the grill. Anyway, the Iowa chops are about 1 1'4" thick. Lay on top of 2 slices of bacon. Then a slice of onion, green peppers, and a tomato. Wrap up the bacon and put in a toothpick. Last 5 min. or so put a slice of cheese on top. We also had zucchini boats stuffed with sausage, onions,parm cheese and zucchini, ABT rats, stuffed green peppers, for the wife, and cucumber salad. Started with hickory and finished with apple. Will never do them on the grill again!

chops with a little rub on the bacon

all wrapped up

on the smoker

all done

yumm-that looks great-I dislike eating out-find all sorts of reasons not to-and that there feast is another! good job.

Thanks you two. They really are very good and simple to make.

That is great. All the food looks awesome. Congrads on 28 yrs. Cucumber salad looks great.

congrats on the aniversary first off!!!! and the food looks incredible!!!!
great job!!!

Hey first thing congrats on your anniversary !! Second The food looks great ! great q-view
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Congrats on 28 years. Those look really nice, gonna try that set up some times, i like the veggies.

Thanks everyone. Krusher, all though these are excellent on the grill, IMO, everything tastes better on the smoker. If you do them on the grill, do them with indirect heat for 1 hr. Don't open the lid at all. Last few min. put the cheese on the top.

I've got allot more zucchini coming next week. Need to find different ways to smoke them. I like the boat idea. Might try some diff things in it. Is it good sliced and put on the smoker?

Happy anniversary to you and the Mrs., Mark! Looks like a delicious smoke you had for dinner, good choice by the wife to stay home!

To what internal temp did you smoke those chops?

Thanks Laurel. I smoked them to 162*. I like pork between 160-165 so this was perfect.

Cool Mark, thanks again for the temps ... have a couple rib roasts on now, and they're around 144 ... will smoke them to the temp you did and will take pics.

mark.....i thought you was going to do the next batch of abts, like we do.........with just a SLICE of bacon on top........?????

The next batch was done that way. This is the 4th batch since then. Wife likes them better wrapped. I like your way better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky