I will NOT give up on my AMZNPS !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes. Everything is just as it was except the removable parts. I put them on a shelf incase I want to put it back the way it was, but I'm sure I won't. The slanted drip pan is still in the smoker and covered with foil.  I'm not sure if it is needed, maybe not. Experimentation will tell.  I just did this mod about a week or so ago. It's too damn cold to experiment much!

Bearcarver, I think, made a statement where it blocks the heat and smoke too much, being as large as it is. Later this week the weather is supposed to let up some. Time to experiment!

This is the statement he made earlier:

The Gen #1 has a big water pan that covers most of the cooking area, yet leaves enough room for heat & air to get by it. If you could set it up to use a large water pan like in the Gen #1---Yes. This is one of the suggestions I made to Masterbuilt, to do with their next Generation. If I had a Gen #2 that I wanted to use, I would consider cutting that slanted plate down in depth to allow the heat & air to get by freely, instead of stacking up under the plate.

Bear

Cue, keep us posted. If I have time this weekend I'm going to experiment with some things. Don't be surprised if I pick your brain at some point about your PID controller too but that's a bit down the road.

To the original poster, Beuler,   how are you doing with your project?   Get it resolved?

Hey Cmayna

I am going to try it again this weekend and get pics. To Recap...I slide out the chip loader, moved the water pan to the floor, removed the chip tray, and put a fan on the exhaust side , blowing out as to suck the air in from the bottom chip loader , up and through the exhaust hole on the side. I think it helped to dry the pellets in the oven and then I added a little apple chips ( almost dust ) to the pellet bag. This gives the AMZNPS something else to grab on to and burn. Also preheating helped I believe to have warm pellets. It only went out one time and then continued on.

Heres another thing I think may hinder the burning!

Have you all noticed the big weld on the bottom of the AMZNPS to hold the crossbars??

I think after it gets past that weld ( the first inch ) it burns better....kinda like the weld is blocking some air..
33.gif

Thanks all for keeping up my post , this is awesome

Joe

Hey Cmayna

I am going to try it again this weekend and get pics. To Recap...I slide out the chip loader, moved the water pan to the floor, removed the chip tray, and put a fan on the exhaust side , blowing out as to suck the air in from the bottom chip loader , up and through the exhaust hole on the side. I think it helped to dry the pellets in the oven and then I added a little apple chips ( almost dust ) to the pellet bag. This gives the AMZNPS something else to grab on to and burn. Also preheating helped I believe to have warm pellets. It only went out one time and then continued on.

Heres another thing I think may hinder the burning!

Have you all noticed the big weld on the bottom of the AMZNPS to hold the crossbars??

I think after it gets past that weld ( the first inch ) it burns better....kinda like the weld is blocking some air..
33.gif

Thanks all for keeping up my post , this is awesome

Joe
One more Tip for you: The reason we say to put a disposable foil pan under the water pan hole, is because after a few smokes, you can just throw it away, instead of having to wash your water pan.

Also FYI: Those of us who don't have air flow problems or altitude problems don't have trouble with the weld blocking air. Try starting your AMNPS a little beyond the weld, and I think you may find that it just takes a couple inches to get going good, weld or no weld.

Bear

Last edited:
Wow, I never thought about the weld area of the AMNPS as being an issue.  Dang, even at my age, I'm still learning something
banana_smiley.gif

Ok guys, here's my latest AMNPS experiment...

I took the entire chip loader, chip tray and chip box out like Cuebiz did. The water pan has also been removed but the slanted drip shield is still installed.

While I was lighting my AMNPS, I heated the smoker to 275 degrees like Foamheart suggested. After the smoker was up to temp and the AMNPS had a good bed of coals I put the AMNPS in the smoker on top of the hole in the drip shield where the water pan used to be. I then set the smoker to 230 degrees and walked away.

I checked it here and there over the first couple of hours. It was burning perfectly for the first 2 1/2 hours and then I noticed that the pellets were't burning completely. It looked the same as my previous attempts. Frustrated but not ready to give up, I pulled out the muffin fan again. I plugged it in and put it right up against the inlet and walked away to have a beer to ease my frustrations. I checked it out about a half hour later and it was burning great! I let it burn like that for a little while with no issues.

So it seems as though the fan pushing fresh air in the smoker and the fact that the air has a direct path to the AMNPS because of the chip box is removed may be the perfect combination.

I'm getting kinda tired so I turned the smoker off and separated the burning pellets from the fresh pellets and I'm heading to bed. I'm going to do some more experimenting on friday since I'm off work. I'm going to see if I can get a full tray of pellets to burn without interruption. The one thing I'd like to play around with is the distance between the fan and the smoker's inlet. I don't think having it right up against the smoker is the best option. It almost seemed to be moving the air in the smoker a bit too much.

I appreciate all of your help through all of this! This site is great and it's members are the best! Thanks again! I'll keep you guys posted when I play around some more.

maybe the drip tray is blocking the air flow..... ALSO.... if the smoke looks to be recirculating inside the smoker, recirculating air has had the oxygen reduced from the burning process.... once through air will solve that...

maybe the drip tray is blocking the air flow..... ALSO.... if the smoke looks to be recirculating inside the smoker, recirculating air has had the oxygen reduced from the burning process.... once through air will solve that...

Dave, after reading your post it got me thinking. Last night when I had the fan right up against the air inlet, the smoke was moving quickly inside the smoker and being pushed pretty hard out of the top vent. When I backed the fan off 6" the smoke was not being pushed nearly as hard out of the vent and was recirculating inside the smoker a little bit more than when the fan was right up against the air inlet. So I guess I need to ask, which scenario is better? Is it better to have the smoke moving quickly through the smoker or is it better to have slight recirculation? At no point in either case was the smoke thick. It was nice TBS but just moving at different speeds within the smoker.

Oh and I forgot to mention last night, when the AMNPS was burning well inside the MES and before I had the fan blowing into it, I noticed that occasionally I'd see a little bit of smoke coming out of the smoker's inlet. Not sure if this means anything but I'm assuming that it means there was poor air circulation inside the smoker.

Holy cow Steelcity! I think you got it. I have my little fridge fan mounted to the side exhaust thinking it would suck air in the loader side...well , common sense shoulda told me , this little fan is not strong enough to do that...so... im going to mount it to the loader side and see.

My question is...does a fan blowing over the heating element have a negative action to the heat..or , just heat as normal and it will take care of its self?

I have to get pics this weekend and show you my fan set up ...its easy and cool!

Thanks

Joe

Wow,

It looks like we're getting somewhere, real quickly.  Sounds like the two of you will be producing some fine smoked product this weekend.

I've already PM'd you two guys my ship to address for food sample tasting
banana_smiley.gif

Holy cow Steelcity! I think you got it. I have my little fridge fan mounted to the side exhaust thinking it would suck air in the loader side...well , common sense shoulda told me , this little fan is not strong enough to do that...so... im going to mount it to the loader side and see.
My question is...does a fan blowing over the heating element have a negative action to the heat..or , just heat as normal and it will take care of its self?
I have to get pics this weekend and show you my fan set up ...its easy and cool!
Thanks
Joe

Joe, the heating element worked perfectly with the fan blowing right over top of it. I was concerned about that too especially since it was around 20-25 degrees outside when I was experimenting. Give it a try. I hope it works for you. I'm going to experiment so more tomorrow. If all goes well, I'm making pulled pork on Saturday.

Wow,

It looks like we're getting somewhere, real quickly.  Sounds like the two of you will be producing some fine smoked product this weekend.
What he said!!!  You're just about there!!!  I hate to see that Dang Gen #2 causing so much of a PITA !!!

Steelcity----As for which is better, I would say the best would be just enough air movement produced to keep it burning---No more, No less.

And Beuler, as for air blowing over the element, I would say the same thing, if you can adjust it, keep it just enough to keep your AMNPS going.

Bear

Wow,

I've already PM'd you two guys my ship to address for food sample tasting :banana_smiley:

cmayna,

I'll send some right over!

Last edited:
Oh goodie, Now I've got something to eat while I'm rebuilding my Holley double pumper!        Oh wait a minute,,,,,,, I'm also doing some smoking ( butt and Salmon) this weekend.  Maybe we need to do some trading.

Last edited:
I hate to see that Dang Gen #2 causing so much of a PITA !!!

Yeah it's definitely been a pain, that's for sure! I just hope that I'm over the hump now. Like I said, tomorrow I'm going to repeat last night's experiement. If it works, I'll be estatic.

Since I've only used the oak pellets, are the pitmaster's choice pellets any harder to light?

Yeah it's definitely been a pain, that's for sure! I just hope that I'm over the hump now. Like I said, tomorrow I'm going to repeat last night's experiement. If it works, I'll be estatic.

Since I've only used the oak pellets, are the pitmaster's choice pellets any harder to light?
I don't think so, but I can't tell you for sure.

Hickory pellets are real easy, and that's just about all I ever use. Hickory is Awesome!!

Cherry is the worst I ever used.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky