I got 3 big 'ol butts oh Yeah...w/Qview.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The only reason I stopped puttin butts in the oven is cause of a bad experience a couple days later. I agree with the concept though, why waste fuel with them foiled - they ain't gettin smoke thru the foil! Anyway, I didn't think to put pans under the foiled butts in the oven. Also didn't have rack space - 4 butts 2 per rack, only 2 racks. Drippins from the butts flooded the oven, about 1/4 inch thick pool on the whole bottom. 2 days later, it had dried a little. Ready for bed, set the oven to auto clean, headed to bed. 1/2 hour later, smoke detectors are screaming, my alarm company is calling, my eyes are burning. Now this was spring, when most neighbors slept with windows open, so after opening every window in the house started waking them up. Alarm company said they could not turn off the alarms, just gotta clear the smoke. Now I can't see the length of the hallway from the front door, I was standing there flappin the door trying to create a breeze. Blah blah blah. I finish my butts in the smoker now! GREAT lookin bark on your butts!!!!

Too funny...and ironic as I did the exact same thing two weekends ago with some spares. Smoke was a pouring out of the oven...Heehee.

8 hours and several chunks of Hickor/apple and mesquite later, the butts are at 175F and climbing. As soon as they hit 180, I will foil.

That looks awesome I gotta try that rub recipe thanks for sharing it
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Brent, I've always done my baked beans in the oven since I'm new to this smoking thing. Dropping a bit of "smoked fat" into the baked beans is brilliant my friend! Thanks for the idea!

No problem. They taste awesome...just like you smoked them for hours.

Also, The recipe does work well and it has a great little kick!

After 10 hours, the butts are at 180 and have been foiled and shoved into the oven at 225. They darn near fell apart in my hands as I foiled them!

11 hours in and at 192...foiled. At this point, my dog either loves me or hates me because of the smell. Can't really tell which.

Nice job on the butts!

I usually toss the foiled stuff in a roasting pan in case the foil leaks, saves the heart attack when the alarms go off
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Amazing! I did exactly that, the pans that I had catching the drippings in the smoker also served as the drip pans in the oven.

I learned the hard way too
PDT_Armataz_01_07.gif
, now I put mine in cake pans with high sides. I hate to loose that precious juice, it makes a good pot of beans...
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

Ok, reached 200 and wrapped in towels and put in the cooler. I will report back tomorrow with the pull.

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Final Pics! Each of the 3 9# butts turned out an average of 5# each. Damn, hand shredding 15#'s of butt is a chore. Next time I will have to get me some of those bear claws that everyone was talking about.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky