Hungarian Bratwurst

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

He mentioned this recipe came from his friends parents by way of the grandparents who escaped from Europe during WWII and came to the US.....Willie
My friend's father has talked about a certain sausage he would eat when stationed in Germany. He said he doesn't know the name of them they just called them reds. I am hoping this is the style he had over there.

Last question hopefully. The original post states grind through 5/8" Plate then 3/8" plate. What plate did you use? I don't have a 3/8" plate and Cabela's doesn't make a 5/8" plate for my grinder that I know of.

My friend's father has talked about a certain sausage he would eat when stationed in Germany. He said he doesn't know the name of them they just called them reds. I am hoping this is the style he had over there.

Last question hopefully. The original post states grind through 5/8" Plate then 3/8" plate. What plate did you use? I don't have a 3/8" plate and Cabela's doesn't make a 5/8" plate for my grinder that I know of.
I did a single grind through the 3/8's plate. I use a Kitchen Aid grinder attachment and it only has 2 plates & they call them 'large & small' so I believe it's 3/8's. The meat was very cold so I got away with the short cut. I, personally, would just use the one you got and have it a tad chunkier, which many prefer. After cooking the texture on mine is very fine...much like a commercially produced product. No complaints, just an observation....some larger pieces of pork in the casing might make it look more 'home made' IMO.....Funny about your friends father...it seems every grunt stationed there had a 'special' sausage they loved and no one can remember the name....LOL. Vendors would sell them on train stations, going up & down the platform and passing them through the windows to patrons. Outstanding on a brotchen roll with thinly sliced onions just wrapped in a piece of paper......Willie

I am sorry too come late to this party but ecstatic that I found it. I have been doing research for my first brats. I love paprika and have bookmarked this. Thanks to you and the original poster!

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky