Hungarian Bratwurst

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by chef willie, Oct 21, 2013.

1. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Well, didn't get as many pictures of this batch as I intended but I'm sure everybody knows by now what a 10 pound pile of ground pork looks like. The last batch I made was only 5 pounds so doubled it to satisfy all the buddies that show up at sampling time....LOL. Well, they buy me beers so no complaints on my end and this is a hobby, right? So, only 2 pictures...one raw and one after steaming to 160 IT to ensure safe eating.

Here's the recipe without further ado. This was VERY popular with all that sampled some. Texture was excellent, aroma was outstanding (even uncooked) and dipped in mustard was pure heaven.....Willie

HUNGARIAN BRATS

10 lb. ground pork butt
    1/2 pint cold ice water
    3 whole eggs
    2 cups powdered milk
    1 T ground pepper
    1/2 t ground ginger
    1 & 1/2 t. ground nutmeg
    2 t ground mace
    5 T salt
    4 T minced garlic
    1 & 1/2 cups paprika (or until desired color is reached)

place minced garlic in one half pint ice water, allow to soak over night, the following day, mix all ingredients thoroughly, place in a plastic bag, seal tightly and allow to sit over night, the following day add 1/2 cup ice water, and mix thoroughly, press into casings, freeze, or cook fresh within two days.

2. Sounds tasty!

3. Looks great and thanks for sharing the recipe!!!

4. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Dang nab it that looks very good, nice job and thanks for the recipe

5. Am adding your recipe to my list of Brats to make, Thanks

Rich-

6. chef willie

You're welcome everybody....I must admit I copied this a while back from a member here, name of Mike. Unfortunately, I did not copy the thread it was in, like I usually do, to give him proper credit. He mentioned this recipe came from his friends parents by way of the grandparents who escaped from Europe during WWII and came to the US.....Willie

7. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great Willie! Love the final color on the sausages!

8. Great looking final product Chef Willie, got to agree they are a nice color. Here is the original posting that you were talking about..

9. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Those have great color!  Well Done!

Kat

10. lips

lips Fire Starter

Newbie? Is there a special way you steam them?  They look smoked with all that color.

11. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have another silly question. Is there a device that ties the ends between the two links? I've seem them twisted, only problem is with Boudin when ya heat them one end always slide up. I have seen them tied like the above (Kudo's to the Chef, thats why he's a Chef and I am a dishwasher). I have seen those bag tyers for the chub bags, is there nothing like that for sausages? Is it something I missed?

If there is no such thing maybe we should put our heads together. I maybe start a R&D dept at A-MAZ-N?

Opps.. so sorry chef, I was going to say how pretty those Brats are and as usual my simple mind started wandering. Those are beautiful Chef and thanks for sharing the recipe too!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  12. Let me see if I have this correct..

Step 1 Day 1Add minced garlic to 1/2 pint Ice water, and allow to soak overnight.

Step 2 Grind the pork and add all dry ingredients mix thoroughly and place in tightly sealed plastic bag for overnight fridge.

Step 3 Day 2 Add 1/2 cup water with garlic mix thoroughly, and stuff.

Or is it

Step 1 Day 1Add minced garlic to 1/2 pint Ice water, and allow to soak overnight.

Step 2 Day 2Grind the pork and add all dry ingredients and garlic water, mix thoroughly and place in tightly sealed plastic bag for overnight fridge.

Step 3 Day 3 Add new 1/2 cup water mix thoroughly, and stuff.

13. rexlan

rexlan Meat Mopper

You really put 1 & 1/2 cups paprika in 10# of meat?

14. 1 1/2 cups of Paprika sure seems like a lot to me,

Is this a typo?

Rich-

15. lips

lips Fire Starter

Good question Redwood.  The way I read it your second way would be it, but hopefully we will get the answer.

16. chef willie

No special steaming method....I'm sure poaching works just as well. Lotta paprika in there, could also be my camera (?)
    , Foam, I don't know of any device. I find the twists hold mostly, some don't, and once cooked really set up better. Then, I snip in between with shears.I think many might use string, make a space and tie again for the next link.
    It would be the second set. I used only 1/2 cup of water mixed in before stuffing. Is soaking the garlic necessary? I seriously doubt it. And I just left the sausage in a SS bowl overnight with film over it...no baggie thing.....seemed like a wasted step & bag to me.
    Yep, correct sir. 1/2 cups total. Luckily, I can get it in the bulk bin. Next time maybe 1/2 of that hot pap & the other half smoked paprika?? What ya think?
    Nope, spot on...1 & 1/2 cups....delicious aroma developed overnight. When I opened the fridge it was wafting out.....like opening the door on a new car...LOL
    Yeah,,,,second way was it. Hope all your questions were answered.....the garlic prep & baggie step seemed unnecessary but that's the way the recipe was written

17. So basically

Day before grind, mix a half cup of water and garlic and let sit overnight.

Grind and mix all ingredients and sit overnight.

Mix and stuff.

I had better start soon if I am going to be eating these this weekend. [​IMG]

Thanks for posting this recipe again.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  18. rexlan

rexlan Meat Mopper

OK ... so you said yep .. 1/2 cup total (paprika) and then you said Nope, spot on...1 & 1/2 cups

So .......... I wonder which it is?

19. chef willie

Sorry about that....I realized after posting I missed the ONE and IE was acting up and would not let me in to correct. It is ONE & ONE HALF cup of paprika...LOL. yeah, a lot of pap for sure.

20. chef willie

Its really good...hope you enjoy. Truthfully, I'm not sure about 'what' the soaking of the garlic does or is meant to do. I know some will soak sliced onions to take out the 'bite' but I never ran across that with garlic.