How to season a new offset?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Creosote

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 5, 2021
Pittsburg Texas
I will be getting my new offset in February and curious on how to season the smoker and does it even need to be seasoned? All info really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes it needs to be seasoned. Just pick you up a few cans of pam cooking spray or you can put vegetable oil in a spray bottle. Spray down the walls and grates of the cook chamber really good then build a hot fire and let it cook on

Reactions: Creosote
What Jake said....
I ran mine really hot for an hour or so first to get rid of any manufacturing/shipping residues though before giving it a spray of pam.

Last edited:
Also depending on how the outside is finished you may need to oil the outside as well, especially the firebox as paint tends to burn off.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky