How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hellooo fellow smokers,,,,,i have question,,,,how do I put a pellet feeder on my mes smoker????where do I put it?? anyone have any pics of it??
You don't need a pellet feeder for an MES smoker. It uses a digitally controlled electric heating element for the heat.

All you would need is an AMNPS, which you can fill with pellets & light one end.

Then it could smoke perfectly for up to 11 hours.

Bear

hellooo fellow smokers,,,,,i have question,,,,how do I put a pellet feeder on my mes smoker????where do I put it?? anyone have any pics of it??

You don't need a pellet feeder for an MES smoker. It uses a digitally controlled electric heating element for the heat.

All you would need is an AMNPS, which you can fill with pellets & light one end.

Then it could smoke perfectly for up to 11 hours.

Bear
Garryt, I bought an AMNPS for my analog MES before I came back to school this fall.  Finally got around to trying it last weekend, just on some drumsticks.  I have not had the time nor decided how to fully mod it yet, but I had my MES set on high, reaching around 275 temp inside for about an hour.. so the element was basically always on.  The AMNPS worked surprisingly well & the food turned out great!  

Last pic is of it sitting outside for maybe another half or or more, still burning well for what little I used.  Might try it this weekend cooking something low & slow.. to test it without the element constantly running.  That will give it a true test & I can go from there on what I need to do for drilling holes for intake/exhaust.  If you have a digital though you should have proper ventilation.  Many people here have done the "Mailbox Mod" which is what I eventually tend to do.  I just have to do a lot of drilling that a digital MES doesn't require. 

Hope that helps! 

Gavin

well,,ok,,,how and where do I install the amnps,,,,any drilling??special fitting????I like the idea of not having to feed it every 45 minutes,,,thanks

I wish there was someone close to me ,,to show me or maybe help me figure it out,,,I am in Tulsa okla,,far north side,,,,,,HELP,,,

Do you have the digital version or analog? Digital no drilling is required that I know of.  Some people just put the aMNPS right in the bottom rack or so  with the digitals.. I don't remember which thread it was that had a large list of mods people did.. Try searching amnps mod:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/newsearch?search=amnps+mod

If you do have a digital, the mailbox mod is just to take a 3" dryer pipe or exhaust pipe where the cheap loader goes.. run that into the back of a mailbox, where they keep the amnps. Lots of good people and information on here to help out.  I am like you, new and still learning about this stuff.  

Amazon delivered my MES 40 Gen 1 SS smoker earlier this week. Seasoned it last night with the AMNPS. Worked like a champ. MES temp guage was pretty darn close (+\- 5 degrees) to my ET-733. Got up to 280. Really happy with everything so far.

Going to build a rolling stand and mailbox mod today. Chicken wings tomorrow!

I wish there was someone close to me ,,to show me or maybe help me figure it out,,,I am in Tulsa okla,,far north side,,,,,,HELP,,,
Actually to properly help you, we have to know which Generation MES you have.

Do you have the Gen #1, which has the digital controls in a box mounted to the center back of the top, or do you have the Gen #2 which has the digital controls built into the top front edge??

Bear

I only had mine about 5 months. I picked it up at Meijers for a great deal. It was and still is normally $279. It was on sale online for $201 and with the email I received I had a 30% off with another 15% off after that. Out the door $132, not a bad deal..

I love the fact I set it and forget it. I use the AMNPS pellet tray with the mailbox addition.

This setup allows me to cold smoke cheese as with the chip tray the smoker needs to be on and hot enough to burn chips and there goes the cheese.. With the mailbox I burn the pellets and never even plug the unit on.. 

Only negative is MINE is 25deg off. I was finding that my cooking times were nowhere near others mentioned in posts.. So I purchased a oven temp gage and found that I was roughly 25 deg off temp. I followed that up with my Fluke meter with temp probe and found it identical to the oven temp gage.. It was 25 deg TOO LOW... So setting it at 220 I was actually cooking around 195deg... Thats a huge difference... Now I use the oven temp gage only and usually set my smoker 25deg higher and my times have been much improved.

I also find that if I preheat my smoker up to 275 which unfortunately only reaches around 250deg.

I STRONGLY recommend anyone with one of these to do the same... Get a simple oven temp at the store about $5 and check the operating temp.

Last edited:
Bear,,,i see your a viet namn vet,,,,,i want to take he time to say THANK YOU FOR YOU SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY,,,,,KEEPING OUR WAY OF LIFE SAFE,,,thanks for help,,

Reactions: lanshark42

Bear,,,i see your a viet namn vet,,,,,i want to take he time to say THANK YOU FOR YOU SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY,,,,,KEEPING OUR WAY OF LIFE SAFE,,,thanks for help,,
Thank You Garry!!

I Appreciate that very much.

Bear

the controlbox is srewed on/plugs in and came with a remote,,nice
Sounds like the Gen #1, so you shouldn't need a mailbox. Just keep your pellets dry, learn to light it real good, and put the AMNPS in the bottom, on the support rods to the left of the chip burner assembly.

The AMNPS was designed to fit perfectly in that spot (in an MES30 Gen #1), with only 1/8" to 3/8" of play.

The MES Gen #1 (30" or 40") and the AMNPS are a match made in Heaven, by way of Minnesota (Todd's house).
icon14.gif

Any problems, give us a yell, or PM me.

Bear

ok,,,,,i understand now,,,,i looked at it and saw what it was,,,,i get it,,got to get one now,,,,why babysit my smoker when I can load it,light it and forget it,,,,lol

thanks everyone for your help,,,

i'm wanting to smoke a pork roast,,,,any suggestions????   was wondering why I couldn't hardly get the temp up on my mes,,,,,I read something about extention cords,,,,,dahhhh,,slaps the rest of my hair off my head,,,,i should've known this,,,,,no more 50' extention cords,,,lol

i'm wanting to smoke a pork roast,,,,any suggestions????    was wondering why I couldn't hardly get the temp up on my mes,,,,,I read something about extention cords,,,,,dahhhh,,slaps the rest of my hair off my head,,,,i should've known this,,,,,no more 50' extention cords,,,lol
Yup---An extension cord is not a good thing.

I got a Pulled Pork Butt in my Step by Step Index below:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

i'm wanting to smoke a pork roast,,,,any suggestions????   was wondering why I couldn't hardly get the temp up on my mes,,,,,I read something about extention cords,,,,,dahhhh,,slaps the rest of my hair off my head,,,,i should've known this,,,,,no more 50' extention cords,,,lol
I'm no electrician but I use a 3-pronged work extension cord I bought at Lowes. It's one of those orange ones used by carpenters and such. It's rated 13A and 125V. I've used it a few times and the prongs on the cord and on the end of the MES power cord are never hot when I disconnect them.

If your element is 1200 watts it pulls about 10 amps . If you are using a extension cord like Bear says it is not a good thing. It is probably a orange big box cord that is 16 or smaller. a extension cord of 14 AGW will work on a reasonable run. Find a14AGW cord or go to a big box store and buy some 14AGW SO cord. It is 3 conductor (black-white-green) cable that makes nice cords. There you can also buy the ends. Measure the distance and add a few extra feet just to make sure.  Typically, 3% or less is the recommended level for efficient operation of equipment.  The less the better.   25 feet of extension cord will drop about1% maybe 1 volt. You should be able to get away with that easily.     SIZE DOES REALLY MATTER.    Jted

Last edited:
I went on line and found this. I was also in the construction business for most of my life and have seen lots of my electric tools get ruined because of running to many feet of the wrong size chord

MAXIMUM    DISTANCES             UP TO   10 AMPS           UP TO 15 AMPS

0' to 25'                                   16 Gauge                       14 Gauge

25' to 50'                                 16 Gauge                        14 Gauge

50' to 75'                                 16 Gauge                        12 Gauge

75' to 100'                               16 Gauge                        12 Gauge

Extension Cord Ampere Rating

Wire Size (Copper) Single        Phase Two and Three Conductor Cords                             Three Phase Cords

16 AWG                                               13 amps                                                                             10 amps

14 AWG                                               18 amps                                                                             15 amps

12 AWG                                               25 amps                                                                             20 amps

10 AWG                                              30 amps                                                                              25 amps

8 AWG                                                40 amps                                                                              35 amps

6 AWG                                                55 amps                                                                              45 amps

4 AWG                                               70 amps                                                                               60 amps

2 AWG                                               95 amps                                                                               80 amp

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky