How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just got mine last night for a B-Day gift. Have not used it yet but cannot wait. Family picked it up at Academy Sports. Just started surfing the forum for mods and suggestions.

Hey BigTim!!!

That Brisket keeps looking better & better.
drool.gif

Bear

Me. I have a MES 30. Just joined the fourm. Done a few smokes since I purchased it. Seems Im not getting the bark Im expecting off my briskets Ive cooked so far. Any suggestions. Its like too moist inside or something. The rub will come off with your just touching the meat after its been cooked.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Me. I have a MES 30. Just joined the fourm. Done a few smokes since I purchased it. Seems Im not getting the bark Im expecting off my briskets Ive cooked so far. Any suggestions. Its like too moist inside or something. The rub will come off with your just touching the meat after its been cooked.

Make sure the vent is 100% open on top.

Don't put water in your water pan. Either wrap it in foil & leave it in the smoker empty, or fill it with sand for a heat sinc.

Bear

Just got mine last night for a B-Day gift. Have not used it yet but cannot wait. Family picked it up at Academy Sports. Just started surfing the forum for mods and suggestions.
Hey Texas Hunter...

If nothing else, get an AMNPS for your MES...best add-on ever! I was a 'stick and steel' smoker for several decades before I got a 40" MES for my birthday a couple years ago, and although it is a great smoker, the AMNPS will provide you with steady, consistent smoke for a longer time than the MES can do...and it allows you to cold smoke, should you choose to!

I ended up sending master built a email a few weeks ago and they got back to me today.......   they are sending me a new unit of better quality although the new smoker has a window, not sure about that but hey I'm pretty impressed with the customer service!!!   I didn't end up testing the internal temp but the smoker was over heating for sure the exterior of the unit was very hot to touch...  
yahoo.gif

Just curious, why use the AMNPS when you're doing hot smoking? Do you use that instead of the chip pan in your mes smoker? 

Yes. The AMNPS gives very consistent smoke for 6-8 hours for me. That means I can set and forget long smoking meats (like pork butt or brisket) and not have to load chips every 45 mins.

I have the MES 40" 20070613 (Lowes) without window.  In various tests in which I went with the thermometer fully inserted in the meat, and half inserted into the meat, the probe read about 21 degrees hotter than the actual meat temperature.  I have to feed chips into it about once per hour to get a reasonable amount of smoke flavor.  The A-Maze-N pellet tray will probably be my next purchase, followed by the Maverick ET-732 for accurate meat temperatures without opening the door. 

Overall, the smoker has produced good meats, but as it comes from the factory, requires more effort than I originally envisioned. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky