How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
is there any reason to not just cut the MES meat probe right off the unit? Its pretty much just in the way.
If you're comparing the MES meat probe to your MES readout, you might want to try it in a piece of meat, with a Maverick probe in the piece of meat too. I found my MES meat probe to be accurate in meat, but not in the air (smoker).

At least check it before you chop it.

Bear

ah ok if thats the case I'll keep it so I can monitor 3 things at once. All in all the MES probe was pretty close for me. Ran the thing for a few hours and with the smoker set at 225 my probes were both usually within a degree or two of 235. If I turned the MES up to 230 the probes would swing past 250 while the heating element was working. I guess thats to be expected though.

I just picked up the MES 30' John McLemore Signature Series  from lowes here in Edmonton Canada a few weeks back for $216. I dont think it will replace my charcoal smoker but Im still trying to figure this thing out...   for the life of me I've yet to get a smoke ring on any food and I've tried adding crushed up charcoal to my pellets as per this site.... Tomorrow I'm trying pulled pork, pics to come :)

i love my mes30 gen2 smoker i got at bass pro shop, I
've only smoked with it twice but using it is easier than pulling out my charbroil smoker

my wife loves all the ham i made so far. this weekend ribs and maybe salmon oh and i got an amaze n tube and 4 lbs pecan and apple pellets

Baconater you will probably not get a smoke ring no matter what you do. I used crushed up lump ,chips,pellets and split chunks in my Masterbuilt Cold Smoker attachment with my MES and have never got a smoke ring .With  my charcoal kamado cooker no problem with a ring or my offset also. Smoke ring is only for looks anyhow,what matters is how it tastes.

Last edited:
It works, and has capability greater than my smoker skills.  I bought the MES 30", with a window, light, remote control, and a smoker stand at Bass Pro Shop - Atlanta, GA.

First time smoker here!  I bought the 30" MES from Amazon.  Tested it with a turkey breast this weekend.  I brined it but did not otherwise season it as I wanted to test just how smoky it would turn out.  Answer: pretty smoky!!!! I used hickory since that was all I had on hand. It was tasty but the smoke flavor was a little too assertive for our tastes, but mission accomplished!  Next time I will use Jeff's rub.  Next up, perhaps a brisket!!
439.gif

First time smoker here!  I bought the 30" MES from Amazon.  Tested it with a turkey breast this weekend.  I brined it but did not otherwise season it as I wanted to test just how smoky it would turn out.  Answer: pretty smoky!!!! I used hickory since that was all I had on hand. It was tasty but the smoke flavor was a little too assertive for our tastes, but mission accomplished!  Next time I will use Jeff's rub.  Next up, perhaps a brisket!!
439.gif
You probably had heavy smoke, if the smoke was too strong.

Hours & hours & hours of light smoke is Great, but a short time of heavy smoke can be strong or bitter, and even could make your tongue numb (creosote).

The name of the game is "TBS" ------- Thin Blue Smoke, or even light white smoke is good too.

Bear

Reactions: mtm29575
Thank you. I kind of figured that was the problem since I forgot to open the vent for the first hour or so. I appreciate the input from the more experienced folks, such as yourself. I appreciate it.

I've had mine for a couple of months MES 30 from Lowe's ( GEN2) works ok, temps are WAY off on the cooler side set it for 260 and pray you get 230, MB sending new parts to correct issue.

Can you tell me what type of ham you smoked (bone-in, boneless, pre-cooked, pre-smoked) and your recipe?  I'd like to do one for Easter
You must've read my mind...I was thinking the same thing! Let's hope someone answers and lends their expertise!
I do it the cheap way & the easy way----Also the Best tasting way. I used to buy Double Smoked Hams (cost a fortune). Now I buy the cheapest Smoke/cooked Hams, and smoke them again.

Here his how I do it:
Bear

I bought a 30" MES August 2014 and had very good success. Heck every chance I had I would put something in the smoker. Just before I bought this unit my youngest son moved out on his own, so I would make up a bunch of ribs and made sure he received more than his share. He really loved them and I could just see it in his eyes he wanted one but just couldn't swing the cash.

All of us try and help our kids out as much as possible and I am no different. After about 8 months I decided I wanted to give my 30' to my son but it meant I would have to buy a new one. I bought a new 40' with the glass door, stainless with the remote and I am one happy person with it. My son made out really well as I took very good care of the 30' all he had to do was start using it. Did I mention I also gave him a bag of apple, cherry, peach and alder wood chips and a shaker for rubs. He loves it and has already made a few racks of ribs and some smoked salmon. Bought both smokers from Amazon, have a prime account shipping was free.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky