How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I remembered something I have been reading about here and there.. When you puncture or probe the meat its best to hit 140* in 4 hrs- I had to crank the smoker up to 275* I usually don't cook that high but for safety sake after injecting the meat I felt the need to do so... after 4 hrs it hit 140 and the timer was singing the beep beep song...

foiled at 180* 10:45 pm and that fat cap is black now , all but used up... a lot of cross sectioned muscles in a Picnic, gonna make pulled so its going to 195* and a rest in the cooler...

Last edited:

Thanks Bear- did 25 lbs of Pork yesterday-  that's a good day in my book

she was done and pulled easily and that fat cap looks like its been to hell LOL
Looks Great, PB !!!

You could make a movie out of that----Call it "To Hell & Back".   OOOPS, already taken----One of my favorites!!
biggrin.gif

Bear

I have the MES 40 with the big window and I love it. I smoked a big old boston butt from SAMs club today. It was a monster. I did it at 225 for 4 hours and then double wrapped it in foil for another 4 hours. To my surprise it was done..I did unwrap it and applied heavy smoke for about 45 minutes, turned out great. One thing I am finding out is that it cooks a lot faster than my old smokers. Happy happy happy forgot to take a picture of it

My mes has done all my fish, ribs. My wife just bought me a green mountain Danial Boone. I really like that. I just got done smoking a bout 80 lbs of salmon, 40 lb marlin, 40 lbs Dorado and some Yellow fin. The finish in the Boone was alot better looking. I dont think ill be using the Brinkman Barrel smoker soon. If anybody uses the Masterbuilt 30, can you let me know how many loads of alder you would normaly use for a batch of Salmon. Mine came out too smokey this time.

I have the MES 40 with the big window and I love it. I smoked a big old boston butt from SAMs club today. It was a monster. I did it at 225 for 4 hours and then double wrapped it in foil for another 4 hours. To my surprise it was done..I did unwrap it and applied heavy smoke for about 45 minutes, turned out great. One thing I am finding out is that it cooks a lot faster than my old smokers. Happy happy happy forgot to take a picture of it
What was the IT when it was done? 8:45 total seems really short for a butt of good size.

Ron

My MES 30 has been really good to me as a newbie.  My biggest problem with it has been temperature control and taking forever to recover after opening the door.  But yesterday I filled the water pan with granite rocks, covered it with foil and even at 50 windy degrees the recovery was real fast after opening it to add some potatoes.  Here's a photo of my ribs with Jeff's rub before smoking.  It was the first time I mixed up his recipe and it really is that good.  Also, a pic as soon as I removed them after 7 hours.  They were really good but not prize winners..  Next time I'll reduce the time an hour. 

Do they look over done?

Depends how you like your ribs but I cook mine about 4.5 hours at 225.

I use a recipe from" Dadgum That's Good" by John KcLemore.

Smoke for first 2 hours.Then after 3 hours apply sauce and wrap in foil and return to smoker for another hour to hour and half. If you like them drier you can put them back on the rack  bare for about 10 minutes to caramelize them. The sauce recipe from the book is also very good.

Sorry no photos, we eat them too fast.

Ted.

Hi Smokers!!!  I'm a newbie to smoking and have the MES 40 inch with window.  Smoked in it the first time on Sunday.  I did 6 turkey legs, a pork loin and a whole chicken.  I think I let them cook a little too long, but it has a great smoke flavor.  Looking forward to learning  from the Pro's around here.

Hi Smokers!!!  I'm a newbie to smoking and have the MES 40 inch with window.  Smoked in it the first time on Sunday.  I did 6 turkey legs, a pork loin and a whole chicken.  I think I let them cook a little too long, but it has a great smoke flavor.  Looking forward to learning  from the Pro's around here.
The Maverick ET-732 will be your most useful tool and smoking friend - all the pros here use this one or something very similar.

Check it out here: Maverick ET-732

Have fun and good smoking to ya!

thanks!!!  I have a built in meat thermometer, but not sure it was being reliable.  I will check it more closely next time.  I have another thermometer/timer too and used it when I was checking the loin, and it showed a higher temperature, so maybe the built in one isn't so reliable???  Still learning!!!  Thanks for the feedback.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky