How long to cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Using the syrup won't hurt either way ,but it will help the meat take on more smoke flavor . getting a sticky surface for the smoke to grab is often used in larger cuts of meat and I recommend it . I don't feel there is anyway to go wrong except for not curing meat fully. That is always determined by thickness as you know and plus a couple days is never too much. For me outside temp is always my factor because I use the old fashioned way .no refrigeration ,

Doing five pounds of Pork bellies. Dry cured with Hi Mountain Cure for 10 days. Smoking on my Traeger Pellet Smoker with Apple "Q" Pellets at 180 degrees. Three of the pieces I basted (after they reached IT130) with a mixture of real Maple syrup, Maple extract an a small amount of Bourbon(to thin it out). Will smoke to 150 degrees. The fourth piece I put on my Pastrami rub, black pepper, brown sugar, coriander, capers and garlic.. The Maple mixture did add some good flavor to the bacon.

Doing five pounds of Pork bellies. Dry cured with Hi Mountain Cure for 10 days. Smoking on my Traeger Pellet Smoker with Apple "Q" Pellets at 180 degrees. Three of the pieces I basted (after they reached IT130) with a mixture of real Maple syrup, Maple extract an a small amount of Bourbon(to thin it out). Will smoke to 150 degrees. The fourth piece I put on my Pastrami rub, black pepper, brown sugar, coriander, capers and garlic.. The Maple mixture did add some good flavor to the bacon.
Hope you have better luck than I did with that stuff.

I've cured & smoked a lot of Bacon, and the only time I ever tested it & had to soak the excess salt out was the one time I used "Hi Mountain Cure & Seasoning". 

Bear

Bearcarver, I think you mentioned that a while back, I did heed your advice, I soaked it twice as long as they suggested. The bacon came out great. The test was my wife, she kept saying "thats good" "thats good", can't go wrong there.thanks

Bearcarver, I think you mentioned that a while back, I did heed your advice, I soaked it twice as long as they suggested. The bacon came out great. The test was my wife, she kept saying "thats good" "thats good", can't go wrong there.thanks
Awesome----If the wife likes it, you're good to go!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky