How did you come up with your screen name?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
About thirty years ago three of my grade school buddies and I were walking a train track and wanted to leave our mark on an old abandoned train. We each came up with a new nickname for this. I chose Magoo after the beloved old man in the cartoons. I am also an avid homebrewer, hence the Brew in my screen name.

OK, there is a DOG in a sidecar (on a motorcycle) in a photo from this thread, and it just popped up on my screen when I checked this thread out and yet I cannot see whom it belongs to, but that is the BEST!

Ever!

And so whomever you are (man, and woman - without helmets, in a tank top and white shirt) and then the DOG, thank you for that! Accidentally seeing that photo, downright made my entire day!!!

Cheers! - Leah

I could never (and still can't) correctly estimate the time the food will be done no matter what I am cooking on, I am constantly being asked "Is it done yet?".

I would say dinner is at 5 and the family would say "So we will be eating at 6?".

Thus the name,

When I was in school, we would go out to the bars whenever we had money.  Unfortunately I barely had money for that, so I would eat a whole sleeve of saltines before going out.  I believed it kept me from having a hangover the next day.  My roommates and friends just started calling me Saltine, and it stuck.

I own a 99' Jeep Wrangler TJ. I'm a huge LSU fan and my license plate says "LSU TJ" on it. 

Really have enjoyed reading all of the recipes on this site and different cooking methods.

Thanks for adding me to the community.

Mine is straight forward - My name is Mike and HMS is the NASCAR team I work for - Hendrick MotorSports

About thirty years ago three of my grade school buddies and I were walking a train track and wanted to leave our mark on an old abandoned train. We each came up with a new nickname for this. I chose Magoo after the beloved old man in the cartoons. I am also an avid homebrewer, hence the Brew in my screen name.
"Oh Magoo, You've Done It Again!!"

Bear

Before a buddy and I's first comp we knew we had to enter with a team name. We tossed around all kinds of names but the one we liked most was Early Morning Wood. We had t-shirts done up that said "Early Morning Wood Crew" and had our wives wore ones that said, "I support Early Morning Wood". Sadly the shirts were a bigger hit than our cooking.

The best part was my wife didn't get the double entendra until she was wearing the shirt around a few months later and someone commented on it. I caught hell for along time on that and now she refuses to wear the shirt even to comps.

Reactions: hmsmike
Sometimes Women just don't have a sense of humor!!
ROTF.gif

Bear

Pretty interesting stories behind the names! Mine is sort of an easy one. I've always been into motorcycles, and back in about 2006 I joined a sportbikers forum based in south florida. I've always owned suzuki gsxr's. We call them gixxers for short, my first name is obviously rob so it just stuck. So much in fact, that even on my race bikes I have the name on the bottom side of the bike. That way when I used to have the bike leaned all the way over going through the corners or when I wheelied the bike you could read the name on the bottom and beable to pick me out in the pack of other riders on the race track.

Before a buddy and I's first comp we knew we had to enter with a team name. We tossed around all kinds of names but the one we liked most was Early Morning Wood. We had t-shirts done up that said "Early Morning Wood Crew" and had our wives wore ones that said, "I support Early Morning Wood". Sadly the shirts were a bigger hit than our cooking.

The best part was my wife didn't get the double entendra until she was wearing the shirt around a few months later and someone commented on it. I caught hell for along time on that and now she refuses to wear the shirt even to comps.
As my name implies, I am a Dirty Old Man And Proud Of It, and I just want to say that I love your sense of humor!! I'm just jealous that I didn't come up with the name you did for the name of the group of friends that I ride together with (a mixed bag of Harleys, Honda RR's and Suzuki gsxr's).

Last edited:
My first name is Alan. When I joined the Air Force many moons ago, I quickly became Al, whether I liked it or not. A young female Airman from Manhattan that I served with called me Uncle Al, thanks to some kids show she watched growing up. I grew up in Tennessee, and missed that show. The nickname faded in 23 years of service.

OK, too late to make a long story short, but... Whatever website I visit, just about every logon name you can think of using Al is always taken. (Forget about Big Al...no chance.)  I guess I am creatively lazy. I found that UncleAl is NEVER taken.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky