Hook up Auber WSD-1200GPH controller to Sausagemaker smoker How?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnp3205

Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
I have a 30lb electric Sausagemaker smokehouse. The 110volt 1000 watt electric coiled burner is controlled by a rheostat. This has not worked very good for me in the past. I am considering hooking up a Auber WSD-1200GPH PID controller to the burner. How do I do that? I prefer not to use the rheostat at all, if that is possible as the rheostat has always been the unreliable part, which is why I want bypass it. Any ideas how I would go about hooking up the controller to control the burner. Thank You. John

I can only find new versions on the web that don’t have the reistat. The specs I see say it draws 9a@ 120v and the auber saws 13a @ 120v verify this first. Second how handy are you? And are you comfortable taking what looks to be an expensive unit apart?

Basically you want to run wires from the two terminals on the heating element to the auber via the output outlet. The PID does the rest as far as switching the power on and off and connecting to the wall. If you are not comfortable working with 110v AC electricity and certain of your abilities, see help from a friend or someone with electrician skills. It's not difficult though. I've not seen the inside of a smoker like yours, but they have high temp wire to the element, just unhook the wires on the other end inside the control area and make the connection to them there so you can keep the high temp wire in the necessary areas.

I’ll second what dwarf said but will add there should be some type of limit ( safety device, overheat protection) wired in series with the high temp wire to the element that you want to keep. I haven’t seen the inside of one of these either but a reistat is basically a glorified dimmer switch that can be a weak link like you said.

dward51 said:"Basically you want to run wires from the two terminals on the heating element to the auber via the output outlet" and this is exactly what I did. I have TSM 30# electrical smoker and since I received it in April I was straggled with it's build in temp controller - it was always 40-50 degrees off to compare with my both ThermoPro TP20. I called TSM and they sent me the probe which did not work. Then they sent me the temp controller which did the same what old one did. I am not even talking about labor (re-wiring) I had to go through. Finally I decided to get Auber WSD-1200GPH and have zero issues since then. It has 6 internal programs so now it's like "set it and forget it"!

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I understand this correctly in that I can disconnect the two leads from the burner, totally bypass my old defunct rheostat, and run the burner directly to the Auber controller via a three prong electrical cord? Is this correct? Again, thanks for the help on this. John

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I understand this correctly in that I can disconnect the two leads from the burner, totally bypass my old defunct rheostat, and run the burner directly to the Auber controller via a three prong electrical cord? Is this correct? Again, thanks for the help on this. John

Yes in a nut shell but as I stated before I would keep the limit switch in the equation. It will be inline with one of the two wires two the burner.

If you take out the rheostat assembly and have the hot and neutral wires exposed/stripped you can ohm them for continuity to where they terminate to each side of the heating element after disconnecting the wires at the heating element and use the existing wires that go through the smoker and safety snap disk (if there is a safety snap disk sensor inside the smoker.) If you then use the original power cord to terminate at the original area to the stripped wires mark them one at a time when cutting to match them back together without the rheostat in place but if it is a simple analog wire up it shouldn't matter what wires are hot or neutral.

Reactions: crazzycajun
First of all thanks to all in this forum that helped me get my smoker working properly. The auber PID controller is GREAT!. I smoked venison sausage, smokies, and Hungarian smoked kielbasa so far using this controller and it sure is nice to have a solid controlled temp. Thanks to all again. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky