Hi, I'm T-Roy. New here and to smoking.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

t-roy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Indiana
Hi all. Just bought a Charbroil silver smoker and saw a thread on here with all kinds of mods addressing the exact things I encountered in my first smoke last weekend. VERY COOL heat deflector plate. I am very excited about learning to smoke!

I have a wonderful wife and 4 small kids 3-10 and all are also excited about it.

I bought this cheap smoker to start with because my dad has one and loves it and is darn good with it. Any advice and tips or recipes is much appreciated.

I have 10 acres of hardwoods and Have already made 3 5-gal buckets full of maple chunks, but they are green and will need a few months I guess (bummer). But I'm stoked because I have oak, shag bark hickory, white hickory, ash and many more trees. Much of it is already down...thanks to the storms this last week!
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Welcome to SMF, T-Roy! Glad you've joined our place on the web. If you're new to smoking meats, you'll want to sign up for Jeff's free 5-day eCourse to get you off in the right direction.

Nice sounding woods you have available to ya. Should produce some great grub for you and your fine family!!

Welcome T-Roy, glad to know you're part of the SMF. Looking forward to your next smoke!

Welcome T-Roy! Definitely sign up for the 5 day course. I've been smoking for a while and I still learned a bunch. I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do.

thank you brothers! I just signed up for the 5 day course and will read day 1 tonight at home!! TGIF!

Welcome aboard, glad ta have ya! Sounds like yall got yer wood supply covered! Look round a bit an see ifin ya find the answers ya be lookin fer, if not, besure ta ask, plenty a folks with a vast knowledge of the craft willin ta hep ya learn! Glad ta hear them youngins is interested to, sumtin they can enjoy there whole lives an family time is always quality time.

welcome to de club...sorry about your trees..hope everything else is alright..

have chain saw and strong boy child will travel..
PDT_Armataz_01_26.gif

Welcome T,

Great to have ya on board!!!

No dumb questions in this place. You'll have the best BBQ pit masters at your disposal. Enjoy and Happy smokin
icon_smile.gif

All the woods you mentioned I have used and then some except for the ash. You will enjoy as long as you dont over do it with the hickory and oak. If you get a chanced try some apple wood. Hard to over do and great on poultry and pork. Welcome again. Good luck

Welcome to the SMF!! The 5 day ecourse is good advice!! Its free and only takes a few minutes a day!! Its also full of great info!! As you can see there are lots of friendly folks here and there all waiting to help a newbie out!! So if or when ya run into a question feel free to ask!!

Many moons ago i used to frequent the shelbyville area... took a lot of bananas to Kroger there!

Welcome to your second family!!

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Hello T-Roy and welcome. Sounds like after the storms you should get the chain saw out and cut some short pieces up and split them to dry for the winter. A buddy of mine in Lincoln, NE used to let people cut up their damaged trees and bring the logs out to his place to dump. He'd cut to length and split them for heating his shop?? Good Idea? Maybe some free wood in your neighborhood?
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif

Another Welcome , awesome place you have found here
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

With those trees , sucks about the storm damage , but some good smoking wood you have around , like they say,when the sun shines you gotta make hay , Er, something like that
icon_smile.gif

Welcome, T-Roy. My experience is that your young ones will like your Que as well as anyone. Enjoy. The SMF will get you up that learning curve quickly.

Thank you all for the warm welcomes! I'm stoked about learning this art. I forgot to mention that I also have large amounts of wild, mature grapevines. Some the diameter of my fist and bigger which I see on some wood flavor charts is a good one. I also have lots of cherry wood. Not cherry trees (with the tree fruit) but the ginormous cherrywood trees (no fruit). And I see this morning a few of those are down.

FYI, we had 80mph winds last night here and I couldn't get home because two roads were blocked with giant trees and one was all tangled up in powerlines. We had no power till this morning! And we've been under severe thunder warnings all morning as well. I'm so glad for this torrential down poor too since the ground out here was almost NOT soaked! LOL! It's a freakin mess on my property right now! **grabs crash helmet and hides in hallway**
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_15.gif

But the worst part is.....I CAN'T SMOKE TODAY!!! Guess I'll have to settle for cigars...
icon_smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky