Hi from Pennsylvania

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gabes

Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
I am about 6 weeks into my new hobby of smoking meats for my family / extended family get-togethers.  Although it's too early to tell whether I'll continue with this hobby for the long haul, I suspect that I will based on the fact that I want to do it all the time despite the prep work, time and clean-up it requires.  My wife really loves the fact she doesn't have to be the cook all the time, so that's an added bonus.  My attention was caught last year when my brother-in-law used an Acorn to smoke pork shoulder and it was out of this world.

I currently have a Pit Barrel Cooker, which does a fantastic job and highly recommend.  I purchased it about 6 weeks ago and have used it 7 times.  Despite how much I like the PBC, I am looking to own a smoker that (1) can smoke for much longer periods of time at lower temperatures and (2) has more temperature control.  Given my career, I am all about removing as many as variables to the process so that I can have as consistent of results that I can each time I smoke something.  So far, I've only smoked chicken and pulled pork.

I am considering a used Rec Tec RT-680 pellet smoker (6 mos. old) which is being sold locally, but I haven't decided whether I want to go that route since the 6-year warranty won't transfer with the sale, and I don't want the hassle of having to use the current owner's name/address to fulfill any claims.  It is however being sold for $820, which is a huge savings, and it includes the following extras the cover, the front SS folding shelf and 100 lbs of lumberjack pellets...feel free to weigh in, but I need to make a decision today.

I'll be monitoring this site as I continue to learn about the art of smoking meats and other items.

That sounds like what you're looking for and a great deal!  I would trust a product with a six year warranty. Welcome to the forum.

Mike

Welcome from Central Pa, just outside of Harrisburg. It is quite an all enveloping hobby, but that's half the fun in it sometimes. Lol. No where better to find all the info you need and more, than this forum.

Welcome to SMF gabes! It sounds like you are well on your way to continuing this Q lifestyle.

Since you have a PBC you are familiar with charcoal. With my WSM and BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 controller I can set temps from below 200F up to 475F. After a short learning curve how to set vents on both the WSM and the controller's fan, the smoker is like setting the oven. On a full load you can set the smoker at 225 to 250 and walk away for 14-16 hours, or sleep all night with no worries. Adding fuel mid-smoke is easy too.

Smoker is $400, controller kit $300, gasket kit $25. Take a look at that option. Fuel is cheap too.

Oh, one more thing. I've got pizza dough cold fermenting as I type. Even though I have a pizza attachment for my Kettle, I'm going to crank the WSM up this weekend to 450F+ and make pizzas. Watch for the thread!

Last edited:
Welcome Gabes!!  
welcome1.gif

Always good to have another Pennsy' Boy!!! 
icon14.gif

Bear

Welcome from the Philadelphia area. I am also new to smoking. As I mentioned on my Roll Call introduction thread, I own a Weber Summit E-670. It is a world class grill, but I felt like something was missing.

When I visited a friend in Florida about 14 months ago, he introduced me to his large Big Green Egg. I fell in love with it, but had trouble justifying buying it, when I had more "important" things to consider. I loved the fact that (with some practice) it is not difficult to set and maintain a steady temperature.

For Father's Day 2016, my wife and adult children surprised me with a Large Big Green Egg. I was totally shocked and delighted. I have been off to the races since. No way do I consider myself an expert, but I am improving.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky