Here is my Merry Christmas from the Wife Unit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If 250 really is 212 then it should read around 265 to actually be 225. Have you bought a new thermometer yet? Should be able to afford it since you got such a killer deal on the smoker.
biggrin.gif

That is what I was thinking. Case felt warm but not hot and not insulated (was cold on the porch <40F). But when I opened the door was like opening the oven with SMOKE!!!!  MMMmmmm Smoke smelled good!

Will have to retrofit a known good Thermometer that goes into the case more and see where we are as well as get a good extension cord. Stuff for the weekend.

Wife just gave permission to start experimenting on the SMOKER!!!

Looks like some chicken tonight for first attempt.

Also gonna have some new thermometers to see what is going on inside.

Was thinking Mesquite and maybe some JD Old No. 7 for chips and probably just flake out with some Famous Dave's Chicken Rub.

Open to suggestions.......... You see the wood choices in earlier post in this thread.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Now thats a nice wife there. If you think about it it is all good for now think about the great food that will come out of that thing.

Old no.7 is great .Never had famous daves.For whole chickens i do this and marinade or inject.

Rendezveous style

4cup cider viniger

4cup water

1/3 cup of their rub which is

1/2 cupsalt

1/4 cup pepper

1tbsp garlic powder

1tbsp oregano

1tbsp paprika

1tbsp chilli powder

1tbsp celery seed

simmer on stove at least 10 min Warning this will take your breath away.

Old no.7 is great .Never had famous daves.For whole chickens i do this and marinade or inject.

Rendezveous style

4cup cider viniger

4cup water

1/3 cup of their rub which is

1/2 cupsalt

1/4 cup pepper

1tbsp garlic powder

1tbsp oregano

1tbsp paprika

1tbsp chilli powder

1tbsp celery seed

simmer on stove at least 10 min Warning this will take your breath away.
That sounds interesting.......    Will have to try it.

So far temps are holding around 220 with the water bath going. Before the Water bath it warmed up to 250 on a oven thermometer the door one is way off. The shell stays cooler but about 1" in and warms up. So been smoking on Mesquite and JD Old No. 7 for about 2.5 hours so far and getting about 140 or so. 

Wife got me some Skinless/Boneless chicken thighs to practice with.

How 'bout some trial QView

b99a0223_firstsmoke.jpg
dc9d3ffc_firstsmoke02.jpg

Last edited:
Well the Chicken was as expected a little dry and over spiced. Used Emeril's rub as I am apparently out of the Famous Dave

s rub I was intending to use. Oh well. But smoke flavor was good. Temps got up to 250 on the new thermometer. 

I did not get a  chance to try brining or any of that so it was nice to see the unit above 200. The Door thermometer was still at 200 which is weird. I think it just heat lose from the noninsulated unit. Weird.

Thinking simple bacon wrap probably would have been good too. 

Sounds like you overcooked the chicken. It's pretty hard to dry out thighs.

You need to get a thermometer to monitor the food temps with.

I would suggest a Maverick 732, that way you can monitor the smoker temp & the meat temp with 1 thermometer.

Kind of what I was thinking but it was still a bit cool temp got to 155 when I pulled. Other issue is probing it during cooking letting juice out. But all is well guys at work really like it even COLD!!!

I would suggest a Maverick 732, that way you can monitor the smoker temp & the meat temp with 1 thermometer.
  Like AL said, 
yeahthat.gif
   . A good set of thermos are invaluable to a smoker.

goodluck.gif

Well guys after seasoning and first smoke under my belt I attempted a pair of fatties today only to have my unit fail. Light on NO HEAT!!!  Lights flickered about two hours into use. 

Second smoke and unit DOWN!!!   

Booooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMNNNN... sorry to hear that.. that's why I do charcoal... only problem I will have is if the charcoals wet and won't light... just buy a new bag..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky