Help with Ribs Please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i tried the 3-2-1 on my first set of spares. I didnt get to the 1. when I tried to take the foil off they were already starting to fall off the bone so I just let them rest a bit and served them. plenty juicy and melt in your mouth. I need to tweak my technique a little.
the idea behind the final cooking time (the -1- ) is to firm up the ribs again.

If you keep them at 225 and foil loosely or in a pan for 1.5 then 45 on the final part of the cook you will be amazed at how good they come out.

i tried the 3-2-1 on my first set of spares. I didnt get to the 1. when I tried to take the foil off they were already starting to fall off the bone so I just let them rest a bit and served them. plenty juicy and melt in your mouth. I need to tweak my technique a little.
You don't need to remove the ribs from the foil. When I used to do the 3-2-1 method, all I did for the last hour was open up the foil and fold it back to expose the ribs (think of ribs in a foil boat.)

Baby backs are great ribs to use, make sure to pull off the mebrane of any ribs you cook though, this helps the rub and smoke penetrate and nobody likes chewin on the stuff.  I highly recommend using Maple wood chips for ribs, for years I used all the other woods & stumbled across some Maple, tried it & EVERYONE loved it!  I now use Maple everytime I cook ribs, every once in a while I will add some hickory just for the old fashioned flavor.  All the other methods are true to form, but you will form your own through many tries.  I like the 3-2-1, using Coca-Cola during the wrapped period (it adds a nice sweetness to the ribs).  I reduce the Coca-Cola down about 25% to make sort of a glaze to brush on before wrapping in the foil, you can also sprinkle on some dark brown sugar instead of the Coca-Cola & brush with preferred fruit juice (I like using Pineapple with no added sugar)  Everyone has great ways to prepare & cook ribs, you will know it when you taste it, so take lots of notes on what you do!  Hope this helps with some ideas!  Have a great day!   Here is a great rub recipe to try:  I cup Paprika, 1 Tbsp each either powdered or granulated garlic & onion, 2 tsp mustard powder, 2 tsp each ground cumin & ginger, 2 tsp chipotle salt (I make my own using dried chipotles, ground up & mixed about 25-30% with sea salt or kosher salt) you can try using more or less for your taste preference.  Marinate ribs in Pineapple juice for 1-2 hrs while preparing rub, rub in the rub mix, wrap in foil or plastic & let set for at least 6 hours or overnight  in the fridge. 

Pardon,

new to smoking terms. what is the 2-2-1 method and the 3-2-1 method?
Redwings,

This is a time method to cooking ribs. 3-2-1 for spares normally and 2-2-1 for babybacks. It is really all up to your taste and texture liking.

3 -    the first time segment. So 3 hour open over the smoke.

2 -    the second time segment.  2 hours wrapped in foil with a little liquid of you choosing. 

1-     the last time segment.     1 hour back on the pit without the foil (or as some have stated, with the foiled pulled back exposing the ribs to the smoke firming them up.

So there you have the 3-2-1 method.

It's the same concept with baby backs. except the first time segment is only 2 hours. But like I said before it is all up to your own liking. find what works for you...

Notice there was no boiling in there.... LOL  just picking...

I hope that helps

Thanks, I will have to try it. Now that I got the boiling out of my system. Thanks for the help, and the joking around.

Didn't read the entire thread, but my two cents anyway.  Around here in TN everyone raves over fall-off-the-bone ribs, which is why I cook my own.  After 12 years here, I guess I'm still a visitor.  I MUCH prefer a texture where I leave bite marks and even a little...just a little tugging from the bone.  Many folks find that repulsive.  ME? I DO NOT want fall off the bone ribs.  I don't foil them either since I'm a bit frugal ('cept for my gas smoker due to laziness) and want the fat to cook down and drip away some so that biting into it isn't such prevalant "fat found" experience when landing in to some. 

I've smoked ribs with all forms of grills, from improvised gas grills to charcoal smokers, and have ruined a rack or two.  The cooking temp is the key ingredient to properly cooked ribs.  Too hot a temp and they're done too fast - which leaves them tough (or even crunchy) at the meaty parts but blasts your chin with fat in the fatty parts.  Follow the cooking and doneness temps suggested here and all will be fine,

Now...  With all that said, occasionally I still do up the ribs like my Dad use to for a little taste of my childhood.  He'd cut 'em between each bone BEFORE cookin' them, then grill them kinda like pork chops with lotsa shaked on seasoning.  Lots of turning to do and easily messed them up if overcooked, but somehow he always did them perfectly. 

Regarding the membrane:  I've only recently begun to remove it per recommendations on the internet.  I actually used to enjoy peeling it off while eating a rib.  Anyway, I've seen the trick to removing it and have been successful.  However, it reminds me of skinning a catfish.  So-o-o-, does anyone remember the old catfish skinning pliers?  anyone ever tried to use them to remove the membrane?

Last edited:
Around here in TN everyone raves over fall-off-the-bone ribs, which is why I cook my own.  After 12 years here, I guess I'm still a visitor.  I MUCH prefer a texture where I leave bite marks and even a little...just a little tugging from the bone.  Many folks find that repulsive.  ME? I DO NOT want fall off the bone ribs.  I don't foil them either since I'm a bit frugal ('cept for my gas smoker due to laziness) and want the fat to cook down and drip away some so that biting into it isn't such prevalant "fat found" experience when landing in to some.
I too like a tug.

I like the ribs that are easy to slice clean without tearing the meat and mangling the rib.
Pull of the bone clean just where you bite into it without the whole piece of meat coming off in 1 shot and slapping you upside your chin.
My previous Rib cooks, the ribs were good but slightly dry on the outside, resulting in hard to slice clean and the meat all coming off in one shot.

I too like a tug.

I like the ribs that are easy to slice clean without tearing the meat and mangling the rib.
Pull of the bone clean just where you bite into it without the whole piece of meat coming off in 1 shot and slapping you upside your chin.
My previous Rib cooks, the ribs were good but slightly dry on the outside, resulting in hard to slice clean and the meat all coming off in one shot.
 It is true that "fall off the bone" will not cut it in a competition, being considered "over done", but I smoke mine for the masses of friends and neighbors that love to eat my ribs. 95% of them want the "fall off the bone". Can't fight those numbers, but that is why 3-2-1 is so good. It is easy to adjust if you want a bite to your ribs.

I too like a tug.

the obvius always works,,method brine  1hr ,,then marinade 3hr ,then smoke 6.5 at 200

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky