Help finalizing custom smoker design!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

montanibarbam

Original poster
May 12, 2017
I've got plans to build a smoker. I'm pretty set on the plan, I know the basic design and materials I'm going to use, but I want to run everything by some more experienced builders and smokers to see what they think needs changed and what some of my options are for certain elements.

I've roughed it out in mspaint. Not to scale. 

The basic plan is to use some light wall rectangular tubing for the frame. 16 gauge sheet metal for the interior skin. Insulation. Then either aluminum or 16 gauge again for the exterior skin. Is aluminum acceptable for the outer skin? Does the inside need to be completely welded with a perfect seal?

Will be on some heavy duty casters with locks so I can move it around for now, when my new house is completed I'm planning on building it into an outdoor kitchen. 

The green box is going to be a pellet hopper with a control unit on it, I've smoked on a charcoal WSM for a couple years, and I got a kid on the way and can't justify the time I spend trying to keep the temps maintained when I'm cooking anymore.

Blue Box is going to be a heat shield. Either a water pan or a pan filled with sand or something, not sure the best strategy here. Planning on it pushing the heat and smoke to flow up the sides to the top where they'll drop back down, and the circle above the pan is my proposed exit point. For the exit hole is one big hole best? A couple smaller holes? Some sort of mesh? The arrow on top would be the planned smokestack, the length and size of this is something i'd really like some guidance on.

Grey rectangles are the rough estimate grates, I'm planning on having a grate every 5 inches for three feet, obviously all removable so I can have all the cooking space I should ever need. 

As for total size, the pellet hopper has an 18" arm that I'd like to burn in the center of the smoker, so I'm assuming a little over an inch for the two walls and the insulation, this would leave me an interior width around 33.75". For depth I'm thinking a minimum of 15", maximum probably low 20" range. Is this crazy big? Crazy small? 

What about bottom air flow? Do I need a fan? Should I just put a ball valve or two in? Is it unnecessary with the hopper unit?

Any questions or anything hit me with them. Also constructive criticism and alternative ideas are welcome. Appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Hi. Check out some of my vertical builds. I wouldnt bother to use aluminim for the putside just do all #16 steel. As for the frame use 2mm (#14) wall or jeaviar so less likely to warp when welded. Pretty much the same amount of work to build a small or big one so may as well build it on the bigger side.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky