help a newbie out with pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bossdogg

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
I have done a few things on grills and smokers. All were beef or venison or chicken. I want to do a pork item. What is the easiest cut of pork to smoke. I already have a pretty good rub recipe that I have used on pork loin and pork chops along with my other grill items. I have read that you should put a thin layer of deli mustard on pork also. What does this do? I know it is important or else everyone wouldn't be doing it. I am looking for a cut to feed about 8 people at this point. I am using a ECB for my smoker and it is in the process of being modified. I do not know how well it is going to work since it is supposed to get super cold this weekend. I live in PA. Thanks for all and any help you can provide.

I would suggest a boston butt for pulled pork its a very forgiving easy smoke but it does take awhile to do. The mustard is used to help the rub stick after smoking the mustard is gone and there is no taste left from it.

Would have to agree that Butt's are the easiest to do.

I'm also agreeing with theses two guys here with the butt. It is along and forgiving smoke and it will give you some good smoke time to learn as you go too. I don't know if you have a charcaol, electric, or a propane smoker so you will like the smoke too. Enjoy

Another bit of advice is to smoke a fatty as well for a little snack while tending the smoker. Some ABT's going in some time later in the smoke makes for another good snack gotta keep your energy up while smoking
biggrin.gif
a well stocked cooler or fridge with your favorite beverages doesn't hurt either

I agree with the others about the Butt being a forgiving Smoke!I don't even use a termometer in the meat(place your thermometer at grate level to control heat)...buy a 'bone-in' Butt and cook at 225*F until the bone pulls out with a gentle tug.The weight/time formula is handy here,i.e.-1.5hrs.of cooking @ 225*/lb. of Butt.
My 2 cent worth :)-
Have fun and
SMOKE HAPPY
Stan aka Old School

Butts are a great choice. I like to smoke till 160* place in pan with liquid of choice, foil and cook till 200* Wrap in towels for an hour, hour and a half and pull.

will hickory wood work good for this type of meat. this is what I have at the moment.

and I am using a charcoal smoker.

Yup... Hickory works great with pork! Give's nice flavor without overpowering the meat. I find for a 8 lb. butt I usually plan on approx. a 6 hr. smoke, but don't forget you need a min. of 1 hr. to rest it in a cooler once it has hit an internal temp. of 200°. I would put it on the smoker 8 hrs. before you plan on eating, then if it has to sit in the cooler for a little longer not problem.

Also when you put it in the cooler, don't forget to fill the rest of the cooler with old towels. This helps keep the temp. up, so when you pull it out it will still be piping hot!

what is the point of sticking it in the cooler to finish cooking? why not continue on the smoker?

As the others have mentioned, you can't go wrong with a butt or a picnic. Bone-in's are nice as the bone acts like a built in "doneness" indicator. When you can easily pull it out of the meat, it's done!! :)

Yup... what Rick said. Especially with a big piece of meat like a butt, or brisket - the rest time really makes a differance.

I was a smoking newbie not long ago. I had my feet wet whne I found this website, but the amount I have learned here has improved my food tremendously. You have come to the right place.

Don't be intimidated to try anything.

People on this site are willing to answer questions they have seen numerous times, which is a great quality of a forum. It keeps things fresh.

However, you should take advantage of the search function as well as the responses you get in your own thread. There is a ton of great information on this forum from the past.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky