Hello from CO

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cosmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
Northern Colorado
Hi guys hows it going? 

I've been lurking around the forums (and drooling on Q View) for a while now and figured it was about time that I actually join.  I'm buying my first smoker tomorrow, and I've decided on the Red One.  (Brinkmann Gourmet Electric Smoker and Grill) 

I've read the 5 day E course and learned a lot through reading about all of your success.  

I'm thinking of doing either a brisket (1.99/lb for choice at the local supermarket) or maybe a butt for my first smoke.  

I guess thats about it...

Any hints or tips would be appreciated.  

Thanks all

~ Andrew

Go for the butt as it is a very forgiving hunk of meat. Browse around the site for the recipe that sounds best to you. Good luck and :welcome1:!

Thanks for the advice DTcunni!

How do butts typically compare in price to brisket?

Maybe all the following questions belong somewhere else, if they do I apologize.  

I've read a lot about people having to mod their ECB's  are there similar mods that are necessary for proper operation of the electric version?  

I plan on adding a thermometer (probably a cheap candy thermometer from walmart) and some dampers.  

I was looking at a chefmate wireless grilling thermometer for about 17.99 and was wondering if anyone has experience with the product and whether its a decent unit.  

~Andrew

44f8219b_smf.gif

welcome1.gif
aboard Andrew.. Realyl doesnt matter what you start with, just pay attention to it all and WATCH your thermos. And make sure you calibrate them before using them...

Welcome! Sounds exciting, welcome to what I'm sure will become a life long hobby.

Welcome to SMF!  x 2 on Dtcunni, brisky's can be a little frustrating sometimes.  My wife has family in Ft. Collins, beautiful place, she has always wanted to live there.

I am going to take your advice and do a butt, seems like a good place to start.  

I love it here, only been here about a year but its great.  

Had another thought before I go pick up my smoker.  

What would be a good wood to start with. also for a beginner do you recommend chunk or chip?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky