Hello from Alderney

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by bonjour, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Hi All!

My name's Bill, I'm fairly new to smoking. I started early last year, using an ABU smoke box to hot-smoke fish that I had caught. Over the spring and summer I found an excellent brine recipe and hot-smoked a lot of mackerel fillets, which I thought were pretty tasty. All my friends who tried them said they were the best they'd ever tasted.

I'm now taking the first tentative steps in cold-smoking, using a home-made contraption consisting of a biscuit tin, a length of aluminium ducting and a cardboard box. I did some Cheddar cheese smoked with oak dust a couple of days ago and it turned out quite strong but nice. My family must have found it OK as it's all gone now.[​IMG]

I've lurked on SMF a few times before and picked up a few useful pointers, so I thought it was about time I joined.

2. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks for joining us the SMF, best smoke stop on this side of the moon. If you have any questions, fell free to ask our friendly members. Think about some Q Views on that cheese smoke.

3. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Welcome to the forum Bill! Glad you decided to join us!
    Would love to see pictures of your cold smoke set up.[​IMG]

4. Thanks for the welcome guys. As soon as I work out how to post pictures I'll do that Cowgirl. you've got to promise not to laugh though.[​IMG]

5. hillbillysmoker

hillbillysmoker Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome Bill. Lots of friendly folks here who are always willing to share.

6. I think I've worked out how to post pictures. If not this post is going to look very silly.

Here's my home-made cold smoke setup, which is currently in my back yard greenhouse. Don't tell me, I know it's a mess in there, but given a choice between tidying up the greenhouse or smoking some cheese, which would you choose?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Shoot Bill, that's a great set up!![​IMG]

Nice greenhouse too![​IMG]

8. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hey, welcome to SMF Bon-Ger! <I don't allow french across my fingers or lips if possible ;{)> Glad ya signed up, and you will be too! Enjoy!

9. vlap

vlap Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome to the site! I love the smoker.

10. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Now THAT is some first class Bodgering!

11. Thanks All,

I had a choice, either save up my money and spend around £350 (about $700) plus freight charges on a Bradley Smoker plus loads of bisquettes that nobody local sells, or bodge something I could use straight away.

being naturally careful (the wife says tight) the economy version won hands down[​IMG]

12. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome to SMF! Glad to have you here!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

13. smokeys my pet

smokeys my pet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome to smf, glad you came off the sidelines to enter this wonderful game with us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. ds7662

ds7662 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Welcome to the site. Look forward to seeing some q-view .

15. bustedluckbarbq

bustedluckbarbq Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome to the SMF!

16. kookie

kookie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome to the smf. Great little setup you got there. As long as it works thats all the matters.

Kookie

17. gramason

gramason Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Welcome to the SMF.

18. brennan

brennan Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Greenhouse looks great...I suppose it's a mess if your definition of clean is sterile, then it's a pig sty...but that's neither here nor there, Fan-freakin-tastic setup you got there, Makes me wanna give that a try, It would fit my patio perfectly.

19. homebrew & bbq

homebrew & bbq Smoking Fanatic

Welcome to SMF! Glad you decided to come in out of the shadows. [​IMG]

20. smokin for life

smokin for life Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Welcome to the SMF Bill, that's a great looking smoker you made. "Laugh at you" heck Bro I'd like to shake your hand. That sure got the wheels turning in my head.