Hello and Welcome to this group.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It's a bit of fun! We all know that Wade is one of the best, if not the best UK Smoker!

Smokin Monkey
I know, I'm only joking, but I will be watching Wade closely at the Weekend BBQ to see if there's any truth in the rumour

th_HaHAAHaa.gif

LOL - That settles it - I'm certainly not coming now. Anyway I cant find any instant light BBQ trays that fit my stand.

Last edited:
Seeing we have 
hijack2.gif
 I might as well post my question on this thread.

There is no way that I can bring my Brinkmann down for the weekend in July it's just to big and heavy, therefore I need to buy another BBQ/smoker just for that weekend.

What do you recommend, and I don't want to spend a fortune as it will most likely not get used again until the following year.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hello sw.  If we were back in the States I'd have the ideal choice.  The "mutts nuts" for about $40-$45.  The shipping is high though.  The perfect portable light weight smoker for camping and such but we would need to purchase a BUNCH to make shipping pay.  Mine cost me more to ship than to buy.  Made in Houston Texas for 38 years and found in MANY Texas homes.  I wish I had the money to become a distributor and market them here.  You will see mine at the weekend.  BUT!  Back to the question.  " A cheap, available, untried, smoker with easy temp control for the weekend"?  My only thought is the electric halogen oven SmokingMonkey brought last year.  Best I can come up with.  Wish I could help more.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Mine cost me more to ship than to buy.  Made in Houston Texas for 38 years and found in MANY Texas homes.  I wish I had the money to become a distributor and market them here.
Was it a Klose? They are made just north of Houston. That was one of the ones I imported too and yes, the cost of shipping importing is greater than to actually buy! We are talking about some serious amounts of steel in each of those. I had a tour of their manufacturing yard about 15 years ago. They were all made by hand and many to individual specifications. One of the best BBQ places I have eaten at was fairly close to their yard - it was in a place where if you did not know about it you would be highly unlikely to find it accidentally. It was a case of get their early because it was very popular and when the meat cooked overnight was gone, it was gone.

Hello Armin.  I don't know any U.K. member who competes.  Maybe some do??  I can only give you my personal opinion:  I don't feel SMF is a "competition site".  I do know some of the U.S. members compete.  I feel SMF is all about helping folks and passing on knowledge and skills.  If I were competing I would not give you the recipe to my sauce or anything else I make for competition.  I do this for the enjoyment.  I love smoked/grilled foods and like to share these with friends and family; people that I love.  I'm not impressed by competition winners.  It's a one shot, one mouthful taste.  It is carefully treated and trimmed to give that one mouthful the best chance of winning.  TRICKS of the competition.  "How to" present the best mouthful.  Doesn't mean the rest of the brisket was edible.  It only means that on that particular day at that particular time your mouthful was "the best".  Tomorrow; with different "judges"; 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
  Back in my day I took cows and pigs to the local shows.  Grooming skills ( oils, hair dying, etc. ), feeding before the show ring, drugs to keep scared animals calm, etc., all "tricks" of the show.  Just my experiences and ALL my personal opinion.  If competition is your thing I will be happy to help in any way I can; as I am sure the other members of the Group will be willing to help.  I wish you all the luck in the world.  Keep Smokin!

Danny
well said

Although I have been smoking for quite a few years but have not done a competition yet - something I hope to change in the near future.  Will anyone here be competing this year? 

Armin
There is a fairly limited competition circuit here in the UK but the meets are fairly infrequent and it it appears to be run by one person on a commercial basis. There are seperate competitions though at some of the big BBQ events - like Grillstock. It depends on what you are looking for.

I can only really repeat what Danny has said. The competition is really about getting your meat to what others have decreed as being perfect. It is a bit like showing a dog at crufts. It is not about the overall enjoyment that it gives to those who eat it but more about the ability of the BBQer to follow a fornula. I have nothing against BBQ competitions and I know that some really enjoy entering them however I am much more interested in broadening my BBQ and smoking experiences. I have chatted in both forums and I find that SMF better suits my needs. If you are interested in competition I will forward you some details in PM.

Hello Wade.  Not a Klose.  The little silver piece of crud looking cheap tin silver one I brought last year.  When you see one and pick it up and feel the weight your first thought is NO WAY!  I would never try one when back in Texas as I thought it couldn't work and just wouldn't last.  Many folks use them as does my step Dad and he knows his stuff.  My first trip back to Texas I was complaining about not being able to find a good BBQ here in the north pole and without my knowledge my step Dad went down and bought me one of these cheap pieces of "CR**".  So I had to ship it over.  Took a couple smokes to learn to use it but I'll put that "cheap piece of cr**" up against MANY more expensive smokers.  That was about 12 years ago and that thin piece of tin is still a favourite of mine.  Takes a little practice, leaks smoke  and I would not try to hot smoke sausage in it where temp control is important but have made many briskets in mine.  It is now in the caravan and goes out with us each time the caravan rolls.  Used at LEAST once and most times every nite we are in the caravan.  Below is the link.  Have a look.  You will think I have lost my mind but I TELL you it is a great piece of kit.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

http://www.oldsmokey.com/pages/old-smokey-charcoal-grills

Yes I remember. You cooked sausages or chicken on it at the last meet.
icon14.gif

I think it has been summed up perfectly by Danny and Wade and seconded by Timberjet.  However, I know a couple of BBQ teams that compete, if you want the introductions let me know and I will arrange it.

Thanks for the invite to the uk forum

Simon here from the big smoke, just waiting for my smoker to arrive in a couple of days

all the best

Hello Simon.  Welcome to "the family".  Anything I can do to help. you just rattle my cage.  Be happy to help.  There are a couple U.K. members who have figured out how to build a fire but I wouldn't trust 'em to make toast or boil water!  
ROTF.gif

Serious now!  These guys know their stuff.  GREAT bunch of folks!  We will all give you any help we can.  Glad to have you.

Danny

Hello Smokers!!!
My name is Igor, I'm from Brazil but now I'm living in London.
I love to cook and especially to eat.. and always wanted to learn the art of smoking.
I just got a smoker and my first 2 kg of bacon is curing in the fridge... I hope that next weekend I'll have home made smoked bacon in my breakfast!
Big hug!!

Hi Igor

Welcome to the group. You tease us with information snippets - What type of smoker did you buy and how are you curing your bacon?  
icon14.gif

Wade

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky