Hello and Welcome to this group.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Very interesting! I have been trying to get our local University (Derby) interested in getting some ideas off the ground, with their students.

Smokin Monkey

Hi.

Thanks for the invitation to join the UK group. I don't live in the UK (Canada) but would appreciate the UK perspective on curing and smoking hams in particular. I remember as a child in England eating a great Christmas breaded ham cold for sandwiches. i want to reproduce this but it is not very familiar on this side of the pond. Any help appreciated.

Hello Danny, I'm Brian from North Carolina.... I've been living in Germany since 1980.  With that said, I understand the challenges smokers have in UK.  I been smoking and curing most of my adult life, but when you live in Germany it's completely different.  We don't have the same curing salts.... ect.  But it's been a learning experience to say the least.  If I can be of any help please ask.  Happy Smoking,

Brian 

Hello Brian and welcome to the “Family”.  Glad you found us.  We are a pretty informal Group here and some of us have met.  We do sometimes poke fun so just give as good as you get and you'll fit right in.  
icon_biggrin.gif
  Please feel free to PM me should you have a question.  I certainly don’t know it all, so if I can’t help I’ll find someone who can and we will learn together.  Please read the threads posted in the group and feel free to share any tips or information that you have that you feel would be helpful to the group members.  We look forward to your contributions.  Have fun.  Keep Smokin!

KC5TPY

Danny

Last edited:
Hi All and thanks to Smokin Monkey for the heads up about this group. 

I hadn't explored this area of the forum yet and it would probably have been a while before I did. I've been looking at lots of the game recipes and picked up a few hints and tips, so far so good. I'd be interested in links for hot smokers as I'd like to step up from my small smoker and try smoking some bigger pieces. I've seen some nice ones but £££ ouch they don't come cheap do they.. 

Thanks

Dave

Hello Dave.  Just sort of depends on your needs for a smoker and the price range.  A Weber kettle does a pretty good job and is pretty versatile.  You can buy the 57cm for £128.  If you start a thread in the Group  I'm sure you will get several more ideas.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself to the group.  Its great to find a community of smokey minded individuals to share info and experiences.  I am another displaced American, and right now I am on a stickburner which I try to keep chugging away every weekend.  Always on the lookout for better sources of meat and fuel.

Thanks,Armin

ROTF.gif
  THAT'S 2!  Let 1 in and they start multiplying like mice!  We are sneaking up on ya.

Hello Armin and welcome to the "family".  Glad to have you.  Let us know if we can help in any way.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Hi Armin. AT LAST another real UK smoker. Everyone else here appears to be from north of Watford Gap and have very strange accents and some very weird customs ! Some even with a Texas twang! I am from Kent and in the past I think that we have built several walls to try to keep the northern heathens at bay.

It is great to see you on the forum. The big advantage of SMF is that we embrace all aspects of meat smoking and not just competition BBQ. If you are a beginner looking for advice or a seasoned smoker looking for soul mates then we are here. Please feel free to ask for advice if needed and to chip in to share your experience where you feel it will help others.

Much of the information on the forum is US focused however most of it is also totally applicable in the UK. Just a few simple things to remember - Keep your F to C temperature converter handy and remember that the US pint/gallon is 20% smaller than in the UK - who said that everything is bigger in Texas !? 

Everything you see here that is available in the US is also either available here in the UK (or has a direct equivalent), and if you follow the US guidelines you will be sure to be well within the UK/EU guidelines too.

Looking forward to your contributions and we do like LOTS of photos 
icon14.gif

Cheers

Wade

Hi Armin, welcome to the group. Look forward to your posts. I think Wade will be giving you a visit before long!

Smokin Monkey
Armin - You are invited to join the gild of the oppressed southern brethren ...

Yes - but he has relocated to the civilized part of the UK. That makes him one of us 
welcome1.gif

Hi Armin. AT LAST another real UK smoker. Everyone else here appears to be from north of Watford Gap and have very strange accents and some very weird customs ! Some even with a Texas twang! I am from Kent and in the past I think that we have built several walls to try to keep the northern heathens at bay.

It is great to see you on the forum. The big advantage of SMF is that we embrace all aspects of meat smoking and not just competition BBQ. If you are a beginner looking for advice or a seasoned smoker looking for soul mates then we are here. Please feel free to ask for advice if needed and to chip in to share your experience where you feel it will help others.

Much of the information on the forum is US focused however most of it is also totally applicable in the UK. Just a few simple things to remember - Keep your F to C temperature converter handy and remember that the US pint/gallon is 20% smaller than in the UK - who said that everything is bigger in Texas !? 

Everything you see here that is available in the US is also either available here in the UK (or has a direct equivalent), and if you follow the US guidelines you will be sure to be well within the UK/EU guidelines too.

Looking forward to your contributions and we do like LOTS of photos 
icon14.gif

Cheers

Wade
Thanks for the warm welcome; guild invite accepted.  I don't know what it is, but it seems every online group I join has an overwhelming amount of northerners...maybe they just have more time on their hands.  

I can do litres, kilos, spelling words incorrectly with an 's', but I don't think I will ever get Celsius.  After 5 years in the UK. first thing I do is convert all my new thermometers back to F.  

Although I have been smoking for quite a few years but have not done a competition yet - something I hope to change in the near future.  Will anyone here be competing this year? 

Armin

hi and welcome from one of the funny speaking, strange customs people from the north the far north

Hello Armin.  I don't know any U.K. member who competes.  Maybe some do??  I can only give you my personal opinion:  I don't feel SMF is a "competition site".  I do know some of the U.S. members compete.  I feel SMF is all about helping folks and passing on knowledge and skills.  If I were competing I would not give you the recipe to my sauce or anything else I make for competition.  I do this for the enjoyment.  I love smoked/grilled foods and like to share these with friends and family; people that I love.  I'm not impressed by competition winners.  It's a one shot, one mouthful taste.  It is carefully treated and trimmed to give that one mouthful the best chance of winning.  TRICKS of the competition.  "How to" present the best mouthful.  Doesn't mean the rest of the brisket was edible.  It only means that on that particular day at that particular time your mouthful was "the best".  Tomorrow; with different "judges"; 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
  Back in my day I took cows and pigs to the local shows.  Grooming skills ( oils, hair dying, etc. ), feeding before the show ring, drugs to keep scared animals calm, etc., all "tricks" of the show.  Just my experiences and ALL my personal opinion.  If competition is your thing I will be happy to help in any way I can; as I am sure the other members of the Group will be willing to help.  I wish you all the luck in the world.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky