Heat Warmer Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

starwacker

Original poster
Oct 23, 2023
Checking in here from Kansas. Joined up since I'm building a warming cabinet smoker. Ordered a PID from AuberIn today + 2400 watt oven element. Will be 240 volt. I will probably post these in one of the other smoker-building subforums (was told to post here first haha), but here are my current questions:

1) How do you install grate/shelf holders that are level and parallel? Was planning on using a laser level + pre drilling angle iron + pre drilling warming cabinet walls, but wondered if there might be a better way.

2) Double/triple/quadruple checking: 240 volt has two hot wires + a ground. The oscillating 60 hz current means there is no need for a neutral, correct? The 240 volts makes me nervous haha. Better to respect it I suppose.

3) For the AuberIns WS-2000F-SMD (https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=634) I can just wire a plug to the oven element to plug into the Auber, yes? That was my plan.

Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome S starwacker . What part of Kansas are you from?
Yeah, this forum is for introduction for the most part. Your questions are a little deep to be thoroughly discussed here. Builders forum will get a lot better response.

Reactions: starwacker
Checking in here from Kansas. Joined up since I'm building a warming cabinet smoker. Ordered a PID from AuberIn today + 2400 watt oven element. Will be 240 volt. I will probably post these in one of the other smoker-building subforums (was told to post here first haha), but here are my current questions:

1) How do you install grate/shelf holders that are level and parallel? Was planning on using a laser level + pre drilling angle iron + pre drilling warming cabinet walls, but wondered if there might be a better way.

2) Double/triple/quadruple checking: 240 volt has two hot wires + a ground. The oscillating 60 hz current means there is no need for a neutral, correct? The 240 volts makes me nervous haha. Better to respect it I suppose.

3) For the AuberIns WS-2000F-SMD (https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=634) I can just wire a plug to the oven element to plug into the Auber, yes? That was my plan.

Thanks!
Hi there and welcome!

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician or a professional in the field of electrical work so please quintuple the following with someone who is :D

With that said here is some info I have:

#1) I'm a simple guy so I would go about it this way to know it was very level in the end:
  • I'd build my smoker/oven/cabinet first as square and level as possible to begin with WHILE on legs or whatever its standing on. I'd likely just bubble level the crap out of it since that's what I have lol.
  • THEN, I'd use some angle aluminum/iron for my grate/rack holders and put the 1st one on one side of the inside smoker wall and ensure it was level and then trace a line around it
  • Id then hold it back up to the traced line and drill a pilot hole of some kind through angle aluminum/iron and wall of the smoker; repeat for another hole so it could be fastened
  • I'd then drill actual holes for the fasteners and fasten to the wall
  • I'd repeat these steps for one whole side of the wall to get all my rack holders in place
  • Then on the other side of the wall I'd use a good level board and my bubble level and to align the racks on the other side of the wall and draw the line around the holder. This should ensure they are level from one rack holder side to the other.
  • I'd then do the same pilot hole drilling through holder and wall and then fasten
  • I'd rinse and repeat the board, bubble level, pilot hole, fasten steps for this side
Simple and fairly precise with the tools I have on hand for that job.

Pre-drilling is good to go as well if you can ensure your smoker/oven/cabinet body will be fairly square and level when all assembled. I don't have the tooling, experience, or expectation that I would get this part right so in my case I would ensure the racks are level once the thing was built and upright so I could correct any issues with an "un-square" build or assembly job on my part :D

#2) Yes, in the USA. In the USA 240V has two hot wires and a ground at 60hz, no need for a neutral to run a pure 240V device like your oven element. 2 hots for the element, 1 ground to safely ground your device.

#3) Yes. If you have a proper plug wired to the oven element you just plug the male end into the Auber. Auber showed this as being a proper plug in to fit their PID controller for your 240V application https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_43&products_id=570

Again, I'm just some guy on the internet so be sure to verify what is being stated here :D
I don't every really mess with 240V but this is the understanding/knowledge I have on it, so checking with a professional is always recommended.

Ask all the questions you have and keep us updated on your progress. I'm curious to see how your build comes out :D

Welcome to SMF!
Good luck on your build!

I’m no expert but I’ll chime in on the rack installation, as my build is similar to yours.

My cabinet width worked out to be the same width as most house hold ovens, so I salvaged oven racks and figured out how wide of angle aluminum needed to support the racks.

1) as tallbm stated, make sure your smoker is sitting level.
2) cut the angle aluminum to the correct length and then drill the mounting holes.
3) from the top of the smoker, figured out where the top row was going to be. I cut a wooden 2”x2” to that height and temporarily fastened a level to it to ensure the board was getting inserted perpendicular.
4) drill first hole into the smoker and then fastened it with a stainless steel bolt
5) move the board to the other end of the angle aluminum that you installed the bolt on. Verify with another bubble level that the rack is level and drill into the smoker and fasten with bolt.
6) work your way down the smoker by cutting the 2x2 board with a miter box, shorter for rack support.

It sounds harder than it really was, see attached pictures for reference.

Any Q’s, please message me.

Attachments

• IMG_7847.jpeg
    IMG_7847.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7597.jpeg
    IMG_7597.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 14
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky