Head to Head: Brine Vs Dry Cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great Post and I agree that a Dry Rub Cure is quite good but the convenience of Brining is usually the winning technique...JJ

Great Post and I agree that a Dry Rub Cure is quite good but the convenience of Brining is usually the winning technique...JJ
Thanks, Chef JimmyI noted most people used brine but I am bull headed and had to try it myself.Disco

Thanks, Chef Jimmy I noted most people used brine but I am bull headed and had to try it myself.Disco
That's exactly the reason I did my comparison - I like the way you think 
beercheer.gif

That's exactly the reason I did my comparison - I like the way you think 
beercheer.gif
Har! I have never been complimented for my thinking before! People have been scared by it but have never complimented it! Thanks.

Disco

Very concise, clear and well thought out tutorial. As soon as the loins are on sale, I gotta try it! Thanks, Bajabarrister
Those are very kind words Thanks bajabarrister. I suggest you post whatever you try with Qview. I only started smoking last fall and I have learned so much from the comments to my posts.

Disco 
canada-flag-14.gif

When I have made Canadian Bacon I have only brined it for 12Hrs.
I will have to try it with the longer time.
Thanks for the tutorial.
Will try it and see how I like.

Tucson Joe

When I have made Canadian Bacon I have only brined it for 12Hrs.
I will have to try it with the longer time.
Thanks for the tutorial.
Will try it and see how I like.

Tucson Joe
Thanks for reading. The bacon cured through in 12 hours?

Disco

Last edited:
Thanks! I will have to look it up. The 10 days waiting killed me!

Disco

Boy did I make a Mistake!!!!!

It sits in the brine for 48hrs, not 12.

12 hrs in the fridge to get the pellicle.

Sorry for the wrong times.

Tucson Joe

Boy did I make a Mistake!!!!!

It sits in the brine for 48hrs, not 12.

12 hrs in the fridge to get the pellicle.

Sorry for the wrong times.

Tucson Joe

Har, it is still better than 10 days!

Disco

Excellent post Disco!  I dream of getting Loins with that nice of a fat cap, and you cut it off.  The horror!!!  Just kidding...Great Job

Excellent post Disco!  I dream of getting Loins with that nice of a fat cap, and you cut it off.  The horror!!!  Just kidding...Great Job
Believe me, I would leave the fat on given my choice. Sadly, I have a doctor and She Who Must Be Obeyed telling me that I will trim the fat.

Disco

Believe me, I would leave the fat on given my choice. Sadly, I have a doctor and She Who Must Be Obeyed telling me that I will trim the fat.

Disco
Pork loins were on sale last week @ $1.99 lb - perfect timing to give this a whirl. I bought a 13 lb one and I have 2 pieces dry curing and 2 in your brine. I trimmed the fat from one "Canadian Bacon" dry curing and left all the fat on the rest, cause "He Who Supplies the Funds" likes fat on ham etc. I'll be ready to continue on with your recipes around the 10th or so.

Pork loins were on sale last week @ $1.99 lb - perfect timing to give this a whirl. I bought a 13 lb one and I have 2 pieces dry curing and 2 in your brine. I trimmed the fat from one "Canadian Bacon" dry curing and left all the fat on the rest, cause "He Who Supplies the Funds" likes fat on ham etc. I'll be ready to continue on with your recipes around the 10th or so.
Great, Alesia! I look forward to your opinion as to the difference. One correction though, I did come up with the rub I like but the brine is a small variation on Pop's brine, not mine.

Sounds like "He Who Supplies the Funds" is getting spoiled just like the missus does for me. Lucky guy!

Disco

I forgot to put in the original post that my loin was 2 inches thick at the thickest point. If your loin is thicker, you will have to increase the curing times. One day for every 1/2 inch and add 2 to 3 days, for example:
  • 2 inches thick has four 1/2 inches, 2X4 is eight days, add two or three, cure for 10 to 11 days.
  • 1 1/2 inches thick as three 1/2 inches, 2X3 is six days, add two or three, cure for six or seven days. 
Disco

Last edited:

You know Disco I have done tons (literally) of Carolina style pulled pork but I may just have to try this...
Give it a go. I have come to the point I do hams in a brine and bacon in a dry cure.

Disco, I don't quite understand the cure method, You say 1 day for every 1/2 thickness and that 1 1/2 inches thick as three 1/2 inches, 2X3 is six days, But wouldn't it be only 3 days since you only have three 1/2 inches?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky