Having problems with AMNPS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tank

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
Pittsburgh
I am not sure if this is the right section to post this so if not please move.  Anyways I have been having problems with my AMNPS getting to hot and the pellets all start to smoke.  This time around I place the AMNPS on top of a fire brick.  This worked well for 2 hours then the brick got to hot and all the pellets started to smoke.  Anyways I am running out of ideas so I wanted to post some pictures and see if someone else had some ideas.  I have a vertical propane smoker as you can see.  Thanks in advance.  I want to get this working well.

5622aeab_53660b60_P1110283.jpg
ac7a1460_805d289e_P1110285.jpg
71570c30_516014.jpg

You are too close to the heat source. You need to move it up onto a shelf and not sit right on top of the flame.

I agree, too much heat and too close to the flame

Try placing the AMNPS in a pan, on top the fire brick

This would deflect more heat around the AMNPS

Do you have another firebrick?

Try placing (2) firebricks under your AMNPS.  This would also deflect more heat

Todd

Thanks guys.  I knew I was to close to the flame but I wanted to try to keep it as low as possible so I could conserve space.  Overall my smoker isn't that big especially when smoking 3-4 racks of spares.  The aluminum disposable pan is what I usually use for water and to catch drippings.  I just wanted to see if someone maybe had a new idea on how to keep it low but have it still work.  I know people use this in other vertical propane smokers so I wanted to see if someone had a great idea that I wasn't thinking of.  Todd do you think if I put it in a pan that the amnps will still get enough air or it shouldn't be a problem?  I do have another firebrick and might try that but those things are so heavy.  I am not sure if I want to trust that pan to hold two.  Anyways if someone has another idea please let me know.  I am still thinking about this and hopefully can come up with something.  Thanks again.

I'm thinking Air is a better insulator than Metal or Brick, even two bricks will heat up eventually and ignite the Amnps. Try raising the Amnps up off the pan it's in, 3-4 inches,  with a  Roasting Rack that will fit in chip pan, or maybe just a Bakers cooling rack layed across the chip pan, it will give at least 1 1/2" of clearance...JJ

How much room is between the flame & the left interior wall?

Enough to get the AMNPS in there, with a piece of metal standing up between the two???

Probably not, but just an idea, since heat rises.

Bear

There isn't enough room for that.  What I have been thinking about is putting the brick on its side then putting the lid from the original wood box from the brick to the rail on the side.  Then simply put the amnps on that.  Again not sure if it would get to hot but I that is all I can think of right now.

How much room is between the flame & the left interior wall?

Enough to get the AMNPS in there, with a piece of metal standing up between the two???

Probably not, but just an idea, since heat rises.

Bear

There isn't enough room for that.  What I have been thinking about is putting the brick on its side then putting the lid from the original wood box from the brick to the rail on the side.  Then simply put the amnps on that.  Again not sure if it would get to hot but I that is all I can think of right now.

Another idea would be a PITA, but might work !!!

Since it took the brick two hours to get too hot, you could use two bricks, and change bricks every hour?!?!

Bear

Tank

There's so much radiant heat that close to the flame

Try filling the pan with sand.  This may be enough mass to deflect the radiant heat.

Todd

Since the AMNPS is perforated how about creating some "hooks" and hang it from the first rack if you can't find another solution. I am thinking even some paperclips unfolded might work

Thanks Scarbelly.  This is the type of thing I was looking for.  Something outside of the box that I couldn't think of.  I will think about this and see if I can "rig something up.

Since the AMNPS is perforated how about creating some "hooks" and hang it from the first rack if you can't find another solution. I am thinking even some paperclips unfolded might work

Thanks Todd another good idea.  Todd how are people with a GOSM not having the same problems that I am running into?
Tank

There's so much radiant heat that close to the flame

Try filling the pan with sand.  This may be enough mass to deflect the radiant heat.

Todd

If I went with this approach I would just go back to chunks since I can get about 1.5 hours-2 hours of smoke with chunks.

Another idea would be a PITA, but might work !!!

Since it took the brick two hours to get too hot, you could use two bricks, and change bricks every hour?!?!

Bear

Hey Gary...What a Great idea!...Pretty good for a RETIRED guy, they say your Brain among other things, goes SOFT after Retirement...
icon_eek.gif
...JJ

Yeah ditto with everyone else. Get it further away from the heat.

Thanks Scarbelly.  This is the type of thing I was looking for.   Something outside of the box that I couldn't think of.  I will think about this and see if I can "rig something up.
You got the right guy there Tank.

Every once in awhile Mrs Scarbelly lets him out of the box---You caught him at just the right time!!!

Great idea there Gary!!!

New model----"HAMNPS"  ( Hanging-A-Maze-N-Pellet-Smoker )  
biggrin.gif
    Awesome!!!

Bear

It is a good idea Gary & would make it easy to position the AMNPS anywhere in the smoker.

Boy you guys come up with some good stuff.

scarbelly has a good idea for hanging your AMNPS, but wouldn't use paper clips, instead cut some lengths from a wire coat hanger in different lengths so you can judge how far your from the heat source, just my two cents. Larry

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky