Grinding and stuffing in one step

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buffalosmoke

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
NH
In the book "Charcuterie", they tell you not to grind and stuff in the same step. They tell you to grind the meat, and then mix it to incorporate the liquid and create a "primary bind". They say this will help the sausage stick together instead of crumbling apart. I believe most of the recipes in Ryteks book have you do the same thing. I'll look to see if he mentions this primary bind.

I have made three batches of sausage where I have ground and stuffed in the same step. I guess I didn't really dissect the sausage when I was eating it to see if it was crumbly or not....but they sure were good.

Any thoughts from the experienced sausage makers on this?

Thanks for any insight!

I grind, mix, taste, adjust seasoning and then stuff.

I'm sure there are good reasons for doing it both ways but this is how I found I prefer to do it. Do you have a separate sausage stuffer or will you have to feed the ground sausage back into your grinder to stuff?

Al

Even though I use my grinder as a stuffer (for now), I grind once them use the meat mixer to blend in herbs and spices. Then without a disk, run back through the grinder to stuff.

Do you guys find any difference in the consistency of the meat?

I guess it's something I'll just have to try and see if there's any difference.

It's primarily for texture and dispersion of the spices. There are also a few recipes that call for the ground meat and spices to cure in the fridge overnight before you stuff.

If you are getting the results you want, then go with it.

I stuffed with my grinder for some time before getting a vertical stuffer.
I would grind , mix, and stuff. I found even without a grinding plate and just using a stuffing plate that only certain textures could be achieved. With a stuffer I can controll the texture to what is traditional for each type of sausage. An example would be andouille which traditionally is very course.

Certainly, if you are getting the results YOU want by all means do it your way. Nothing is etched in stone.

We started with one of those cast iron stuffing pistons and that only lasted one year. When you are trying to stuff 300lbs+ of meat they are just a pain in the butt. We upgraded to a vertical stuffer the next year and never looked back. We grind ours once then mix and do a fry test then stuff them the next morning and smoke them. I know most people say to stuff them and let them sit over night be we never have and had great success.

I can't even imagine trying to stuff 300 lbs with one of those. The most I have ever done with it was about ten pounds. It wasn't a horrible experience.... I think I'll break it out for the next batch. I'll see how the consistency compares between the two methods.

I do small batches, 15 lbs or so and grind with a kitchen aid. It is impossible to feed ground meat back into the kitchen aid for stuffing. The small 5lb stuffer from Northern Tool works fine for what I need. I think it's under 100 bucks and once you clamp it down to the counter top you can crank with the right hand and feed casing with the left. Made making sausage so easy I no longer buy store bought. Next step will be a decent grinder but since I only do small batches this is working fine for now. I think it takes longer to cube the meat then it takes to grind and stuff.

Al

I always grind then test (fry test) then stuff. How else would you know you got it right? (unless of course you have done this many times - I haven't that experience level yet).

Before I start stuffing the casings, I grind a small amount and test fry a patty.

But grinding and stuffing in one operation is so quick and easy. Cutting up the meat is the most time consuming task.

I've been grinding & stuffing at the same time for several years--an old butcher taught me that trick. it sure takes alot of work out of it and it works just fine. I do let my bologna cure overnight in the casings before i cook them.

I grind and stuff at the same time also. It is more a limitation of my equipment or lack there of for me to do it that way. Someday I will get a good stuffer and change my ways.
icon_smile.gif

Now I'm really a newbie to the game of sausage and I have always grind-mix-then stuff leaving the meat in the refrig to mix nad the spices to mingle over night and then stuff.

Thanks for everybody's input. I did some more reading on the subject, found that mixing the meat after grinding is the way to go. The primary bind ensures the meat will stick to itself and be nice and juicy without crumbling apart.

I took two different kinds of my sausage out of the freezer tonight and cooked them up. They were indeed crumbly. They were darn good....but had no snap, and the meat was falling apart.

Going to make sausage next week by grinding, then mixing, and then stuffing. I'll give the old stuffer a try...maybe it'll be ok. If not, guess I get to visit Grizzly tools online :)

Cubing does take some effort. I have started cutting mine in strips that will feed into grinder. It is a bit quicker and easier for me.

I've only made sausage twice -
icon_redface.gif
but strips seem to be a lot easier on my grinder. I've got my Dad's old electric grinder that's probably older than half the members here.
biggrin.gif

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky