GREEN BACON???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Greetings all. Yesterday I was going to fry up some store bought bacon that was unopened and about 1 week old. The same quality thick cut bacon that I have been buying for many years. Placed in the skillet and got started. I looked down and noticed light green specks and stripes all over the bacon. It was hard to see but still visible. The bacon smelled right but I threw it out. In my view, it couldn't be mold as it was always refrigerated and purchased last week. Any ideas??

Yes.... It's the sheen from the fat... like oil on water... I thin sliced some "loin bacon" I made last week on the meat slicer and the sheen was fairly predominant.. A beautiful rainbow of colors... It's the fat smear from slicing that creates the scenery.....
Only happens when the fat has been heated to a high enough temp to cause it to partially melt..

Reactions: Fueling Around
Yes.... It's the sheen from the fat... like oil on water... I thin sliced some "loin bacon" I made last week on the meat slicer and the sheen was fairly predominant.. A beautiful rainbow of colors... It's the fat smear from slicing that creates the scenery.....
Only happens when the fat has been heated to a high enough temp to cause it to partially melt..

And safe to eat.

Reactions: daveomak
You can see some of that in this pic .
On the hunk and some slices in the pile .
20190405_093117.jpg

Kind of like when you go to Arby's and get a roast beef sandwich and you can always see the green in the meat haha freaked me out many years ago until I found out what Dave just explained

daveomak daveomak
Cool and thanks.
I've wondered about that for a awhile.

Seems to me like I always find it on fresh sliced deli meat, sliced on a machine, but not on cut by hand.

I guess a slicer smears that fat just the right way.
Yep. I guess so. Just never noticed it before. As much bacon as I eat, seems I would have seen that before? I am very picky about making sure the things I smoke, cook and eat are very fresh and passes the smell test! I got food poisoning years ago at a seafood restaurant in Florida. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. It was awful!!! Since then I am on RED ALERT when it comes to food prep. Take care.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky