Good morning or whatever time it is where you are.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RobisCluless

Original poster
Jun 2, 2018
Fresno CA
Good day from California. Brand new to smoking and not a BBQ master either. I’m nearly 61 and decided I need to learn the basics of smoking. As my handle suggests I’m pretty clueless. I am replacing my old Weber Kettle BBQ. I ordered a Traeger Pro, a Grill Grate and will most likely get an AMNPS if I need more smoke. Being a newb I plan on starting with chicken and a tri tip. What would you do after that pork ribs perhaps? Thanks and have a blessed day. Rob

Reactions: SonnyE
Welcome! I’m sure some of the other guys who’ve been around here longer could advise better, but I’d go with a Boston Butt. I learned to smoke on those, and never nuked one as bad as the ribs or chicken quarters when I first started years ago. Maybe some sausage or kielbasa?

Good luck!

Welcome. Sounds like a good plan but consider the Tube over the AMNPS. The maze can be finicky in low oxygen smokers/grills. Ribs are faster but nothing is more forgiving that pork butt. Yes butts take longer, 2 hrs per pound at 225 but if you wait it out until the Internal Temp, IT, gets to 205+, the pork pulls easily...JJ

Reactions: js0813
Rob, welcome to SMF from a fellow left coaster in the Central Valley. Glad you're here and looking forward to cutting your smoking teeth on the new toy. I learned to smoke on a Kettle. Still use it weekly, but do my serious smoking on a true smoker. You'll get the hang of your new backyard occupant in no time.

Enjoy the forum!

Ray

Well Rob, you won't be clueless for long around here.
You dream about it, you can find ways to do it here.

Welcome to SMF!

Thank you Ray and Sonny. Ray I’m in Fresno maybe we are neighbors. Sonny I looked for a place to learn this looked like the right place.
Again thanks both of you,
Rob

Thank you Ray and Sonny. Ray I’m in Fresno maybe we are neighbors. Sonny I looked for a place to learn this looked like the right place.
Again thanks both of you,
Rob

Rob, I spent a lot of time at NAS Lemoore as a squadron pilot back in the early 80s. Fresno was our weekend "trip to the big city." My wife and I actually loved it down there. We're now up in Roseville, 3 hours north.

There are quite a few Traeger owners here so any question you have will quickly find an answer.

Happy smoking!

Ray

Welcome Rob, You are just down the road from me, literally. I’m out here in Clovis. Nice to have a neighbor on the site

Welcome to the site from yet another Californian. I'm in So Cal but it still counts technically. Rob this is a great place to find out pretty much anything you want about smoking. It won't take long before people will be calling you the pitmaster. Tri Tip is such a great meat to smoke that it's hard for me to recommend you try something else but pork is so good on a smoker. Anything you try with a pork variant is almost certainly going to be good on your smoker. Shoulder/Butt roasts are awesome but time consuming. Ribs take a bit less time but are pretty predictable if you use one of the number methods. Pork loin is also a great way to go because it takes so short of a time to smoke. After my last one I'm going to suggest you inject it when you give it a go. The main thing is to enjoy the process and savor the rewards. Have a great day.

George

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky