Good meat quality ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gatorbuff15

Original poster
Mar 20, 2019
I made ribs recently that I got from Publix and they were really greasy and fatty. Is there a way to avoid getting ribs like this?

Did you trim your ribs? I use a boning knife and trim out a lot of the fat before I smoke them.
As far as avoiding fatty ribs, all I can suggest is going to place with their own butcher shop.

Reactions: gatorbuff15
Did you trim your ribs? I use a boning knife and trim out a lot of the fat before I smoke them.
As far as avoiding fatty ribs, all I can suggest is going to place with their own butcher shop.
No, I think will do try that next time and see if that helps

What kind of ribs were they, cause I get my ribs from Publix too, and they are always good. Baby backs tend to be leaner than St. Louis cut spares. But I think the STL's have more flavor.
Al

What kind of ribs were they, cause I get my ribs from Publix too, and they are always good. Baby backs tend to be leaner than St. Louis cut spares. But I think the STL's have more flavor.
Al
I did St. Louis. I think I’m going to try Publix again and see if I just got a fatty cut last time.

I did St. Louis. I think I’m going to try Publix again and see if I just got a fatty cut last time.

That is the reason I buy my ribs at Publix, since they come one to a package you can see exactly what you are getting. Especially the cryovaced ones in the frozen dept. I always look for a rack around 3 lbs. with good marbling, and about the same thickness all the way across.
Al

That is the reason I buy my ribs at Publix, since they come one to a package you can see exactly what you are getting. Especially the cryovaced ones in the frozen dept. I always look for a rack around 3 lbs. with good marbling, and about the same thickness all the way across.
Al
You get the frozen ones?

Always ask the meat guy when you have questions. You are spending a lot of money, ask your questions.

Small end refers to the ribs farther from the shoulder. Less work, the more tender the meat, generally speaking.

Boneless means just what it says, semi-bone in means you are paying for waste. But the bones are easy to remove. They add nothing to the flavor when cooking but sure look sweet when Frenched.

Choice is USDA grading. Choice is in the middle of select and prime.

Angus means nothing. It is a rating you can buy, much like the BBB.
Angus is the type of live beef that it is from and thats it, it has nothing to do with the grade of meat.
You get the frozen ones?

Yes lately they have been having the frozen ones on sale & I have bought 15-20 racks over the past couple of years. I can't tell the difference between the fresh & the frozen.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky