Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How would it work if you did them in the vac sealer and then after the 3-5 days canned them in mason jars? I ask because I am very impatient when it comes to homemade pickles, green beans, cauliflower what ever it is I make.
If your talking about water bath canning them, they won't be as crispy.

The heat takes some of the crispiness away.

Al

I love (We Love) these pickles Still doing mine the old way we put up 12 quarts 7 weeks ago, had to open a jar at 6 weeks OMG  everybody who has tasted these pickles loves them. With Pickles this good and so easy to make we never buy pickles anymore.

Gary

is it ok to reuse the brine/juice from a recent batch? i vacuum sealed them in a jar and they are only week old. my garden is producing many more cukes and the pickles are just about gone! will it be ok to dump them in the same jar after the pickles are gone and vacuum it again? if the juice is low can i just add distilled water to top it off if its low?

btw, these are very good! all the fellas at work cant quit eating them!!!!

thanks!~

is it ok to reuse the brine/juice from a recent batch? i vacuum sealed them in a jar and they are only week old. my garden is producing many more cukes and the pickles are just about gone! will it be ok to dump them in the same jar after the pickles are gone and vacuum it again? if the juice is low can i just add distilled water to top it off if its low?

btw, these are very good! all the fellas at work cant quit eating them!!!!

thanks!~
I don't see why you couldn't reuse the brine, although I have never tried to do it that way.

Let me know how it works.

Al

I don't see why you couldn't reuse the brine, although I have never tried to do it that way.

Let me know how it works.

Al

Since these are essentially refrigerator pickles it would be okay to make more pickles with the brine. You wouldn't want to make other pickles items. You may want to check the acidity of the mix and add more vinegar if needed. Keep in mind that the first batch of pickles will have absorbed some of the sugars too.

I made the brine up as given on this thread Sunday. I had previously placed the quartered cukes in cold ice water on Saturday night so they'd be cold when I got to them Sunday. The brine and 3 pounds of cukes went easily in a 16x20 vacuum bag. I set the Vacmaster on 29 seconds for the vacuum cycle. It drew the bag down very well, and I could tell compression was at work because the cukes had changed color almost the same time the seal function was done. 
We opened the bag up yesterday for a taste test. Not bad, actually pretty good, but I toyed around with the taste of the brine and added a scant 1/4 cup of sugar to the brine as well as about a tbs of crushed red pepper flakes. I then vacuumed and compressed again and placed back in fridge. Gonna open them up tomorrow, but here's the result after the second compression.

Dumb question how do you keep the juice from sucking out of bag? Or do you vacuum till it starts sipping out?

So I tossed in more cucs into the same liquid batch from the previous round of pickles and let it set in the vacuum canister for a week and I believe they did not turn out as strong. I could taste it a little but definitely not like the first time.

Last edited:
So I tossed in more cucs into the same liquid batch from the previous round of pickles and let it set in the vacuum canister for a week and I believe they did not turn out as strong. I could taste it a little but definitely not like the first time.
Well I guess it doesn't work then.

We strain the brine & Judy uses it in a recipe for making rye bread.

It really gives it a good flavor.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky