Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One Word ----   Wow !   These pickles really do bet better the longer they sit, We opened a jar that was 8 months old --  OMG   Flavor was fantastic and still crisp, very crisp .

I wold highly recommend trying these pickles  Way, Way better than ANYTHING you can buy

icon14.gif

icon14.gif

icon14.gif

points1.png

One Word ----   Wow !   These pickles really do bet better the longer they sit, We opened a jar that was 8 months old --  OMG   Flavor was fantastic and still crisp, very crisp .

I wold highly recommend trying these pickles  Way, Way better than ANYTHING you can buy

icon14.gif

icon14.gif

icon14.gif

points1.png
Thank you so much Gary!

It's hard to convince folks that they do get better with age, just like smoked cheese.

So I'm glad to have some backup here!

Thanks again Buddy!

Al

I'll second that,  just put up 12 quarts, can't wait till they are ready

Gary

Thanks guys!

They definitely get better with age!

But don't we all!  
yahoo.gif

Al

Has anyone made these with compression from a chamber vacuum? I'ma gonna try it that way in the next few days
I'm interested to see if this would work too.

It seems like if the cukes are completely immersed in the brine it would work.

Please let us know if it does indeed work.

Al

I made the brine up as given on this thread Sunday. I had previously placed the quartered cukes in cold ice water on Saturday night so they'd be cold when I got to them Sunday. The brine and 3 pounds of cukes went easily in a 16x20 vacuum bag. I set the Vacmaster on 29 seconds for the vacuum cycle. It drew the bag down very well, and I could tell compression was at work because the cukes had changed color almost the same time the seal function was done. 

We opened the bag up yesterday for a taste test. Not bad, actually pretty good, but I toyed around with the taste of the brine and added a scant 1/4 cup of sugar to the brine as well as about a tbs of crushed red pepper flakes. I then vacuumed and compressed again and placed back in fridge. Gonna open them up tomorrow, but here's the result after the second compression.

This is a great Pickle recipe, Al's right  you start making these You will forget all about buying store bought.

We love these things, Got the neighbor making them too.

Gary

This is a great Pickle recipe, Al's right  you start making these You will forget all about buying store bought.
We love these things, Got the neighbor making them too.

Gary

Good to know! I had to buy vacuum canisters just for this recipe (ok, it was an excuse) because I won't be able to wait! Gonna try them this weekend!
Definitely gonna throw some heat in them! I have the pickles and jalapeños in the garden almost ready!

Good to know! I had to buy vacuum canisters just for this recipe (ok, it was an excuse) because I won't be able to wait! Gonna try them this weekend!
Definitely gonna throw some heat in them! I have the pickles and jalapeños in the garden almost ready!
Yea I'm just about ready to make a new batch myself!

Al

How would it work if you did them in the vac sealer and then after the 3-5 days canned them in mason jars? I ask because I am very impatient when it comes to homemade pickles, green beans, cauliflower what ever it is I make.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky