Fritz's mini WSM build

Discussion in 'Mini-WSM' started by fritzmonroe, Dec 9, 2013.

1. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

notch is in the lid... gonna look for a picture.. if not I'll have to take one...

2. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

The pot

3. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

These little brass guys are what I use. 1/4" the hole is a perfect fit for the probes.

4. fritzmonroe

fritzmonroe Smoke Blower

Where do you find those?  What are they called?

5. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

This is the only pic I could find... you'll have to zoom in to see the notch in the lid... it's right below the exhaust vent and the month (of the date, 07).... right by the inside corner of the sidewalk...

6. dirtsailor2003

Fritz I found them at our local Ace Hardware. I forget what they called them! If you can save the photo or print it and take it in to your hardware store. Also take one if your probes with you so you get the right size!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  7. fritzmonroe

fritzmonroe Smoke Blower

Thanks for the info.  I'll see if the local Ace has those. 

Keith, if I can't come up with the other hardware, I'll look at cutting the notch.  Right now I like the looks of the port instead.

8. dirtsailor2003

Fritz they might be refereed to as a Brass packing nut. At my Ace they had them in the area where all the screws, nuts,bolts, etc where. Most the other stuff around them was automotive related. I think they were $1.50 ea.

9. fritzmonroe

fritzmonroe Smoke Blower

Ok, thanks for that info.  Putting that hole in it isn't a show stopper.

Still trying to figure out what the first smoke is going to be.  I'm kind of leaning towards a fattie.

10. dirtsailor2003

A fatty would be a fine first smoke. Really anything would be, the mini is so easy to run.

11. fritzmonroe

fritzmonroe Smoke Blower

I've seen it mentioned in other threads that they burned in their smoker.  Is there an actual need to do a burn in.  Or is it just the wording of doing the first smoke?

12. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You talking about seasoning it?
    My first cook I wiped evoo on the sides and cooking grates then cooked some chicken quarters.

13. fritzmonroe

fritzmonroe Smoke Blower

Yes, I mean seasoning it.  I season my cast iron, but there's nothing cast iron in my smoker.  

14. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I seasoned my uds so I figured why not the mini.

15. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice build, my next project I would like to attempt one of these. Then I'll wanna keep it and that should make the Mrs happy :hit: . No really she's a good sport about my hobby, no really she's totally fine about my obsession. WHB

16. dirtsailor2003

I seasoned mine by cooking a huge batch of Scarbelly Wings! I didn't wipe it down with anything. I'd say just go for it and do your first smoke!

17. fritzmonroe

fritzmonroe Smoke Blower

I'll be doing 2 fatties this weekend.  One will be ground beef, provalone and spinach.  The other is ground beef, sauteed onions and peppers and some kind of cheese. 

I picked up some hickory and some cherry chips at Bass Pro.  Do I soak these or anything like that?  From what I've seen, I should smoke at about 225F?  Seem like I have the right info?

18. dirtsailor2003

Fritz I do not soak the wood. You will find that chips burn easily. Chunks work better than chips in the mini.

19. fritzmonroe

fritzmonroe Smoke Blower

I'm not sure where I'd get chunks.  I can get the chips from Bass Pro.  Any suggestions on where to find chunks?

I have quite a few fruit trees, but they aren't very big yet so I won't be able to get any from them yet.  But in the future I'll have plenty of apple, pear, peach, etc.

20. dirtsailor2003

Fritz I do not soak the wood. You will find that chips burn easily. Chunks work better than chips in the mini.

Our Home Depot has a decent selection of chunks here. There are several online vendors that carry good selections too.