Fritz's mini WSM build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The ET732 is a great therm! I still use mine when I need more than two probes. The iGrill has been my go to for the last year and a half.

I'm still gathering parts and looked 2 more places for the pot locally.  Although I would MUCH rather deal locally, I'm just going to have to order it.  Oh well.

I got the extra grate for the smoker.  I was going to get the ball valves and pipe nipples, but the ball valves were $20 each.  I'll have to look around, I may have been looking at the wrong stuff.  I was kind of in a rush because the snow was falling.

I also picked up the expanded metal.  They had 1 size, 2'x8'  So if anyone is in Maryland or Southern PA that's in need of some of this for the coal basket, let me know.

If I get snowed in this weekend I'll work on the coal basket.

Fritz the ball valves can be spends. The last two I found for $13.99. Gate valves will work also. In my neck of the woods gate valves are about 1/2 the price of ball valves.

When I have more time I'll do some looking.  I was kind of in a hurry with the snow coming in.  I'll see what is there next time I'm in the store.

Well, I was off work today because of the snow.  I decided to put together the charcoal basket.  Like has been suggested in other build threads, I used those rebar ties to connect the expanded metal to the grate.  I think it turned out pretty well.

Well, I was off work today because of the snow.  I decided to put together the charcoal basket.  Like has been suggested in other build threads, I used those rebar ties to connect the expanded metal to the grate.  I think it turned out pretty well.

Looks great! My wire tied basket worked for about a year and half. The other day several of the ties finally gave out. Since I now have a welder I will weld it back together.

I'll start out saying that this will be a fairly long build time.  I can't start on the actual build until after Christmas since the kids want to give me some of the parts.  So I'll wait.

But in the mean time, I'm sure that I'll have some questions along the way.  Here's my questions so far.

First question has been discussed many times before, silver or gold.  From what I've read, the silver is better if the Smokey Joe will be used as a smoker and as a grill.  However, the Gold has that nifty handle that holds the lid on when traveling.  This is a good feature for me since I'll likely take the Smokey Joe in the camper when we camp.  But I've seen others use a strap system to hold the lid onto the grill for travel.  Any strong opinions one way or the other?

Next is the tamale pot.  It looks like the "recommended" pot is either no longer made or has changed to a slightly different diameter.  Either way, it is also about 2x the price that it used to be.  So anyone have any recommendations for a different pot to use?  I won't have the grill until after Christmas, so I don't have any measurements for it. Is the actual diameter of the grill 14.5"?  The pot actually sits inside the rim of the grill and the lid of the grill sits snugly on top of the pot?  Is there any real need for the steamer insert that can't be done with another grill grate?  I'm sure it is more convenient for the steamer insert to sit on the rim, but it can just sit on more screws put in the pot, correct?

As for the thermometer, I have the transmitting part of a wireless grill thermometer but can't seem to locate the other part.  I also have a spare Weber dial grill thermometer.  Will these be good enough to get me up and operating?  I plan on getting a Maverick at some point, but not quite yet.

Last question for now.  Can the mini WSM be used for cold smoking?  Or is there not really the space in there to keep the temps where they need to be?

Thanks in advance, and hopefully I won't bore you all with the long drawn out build process.
Is it built yet my friend? 

So I got to work on the steamer pot today.  I had to make 2 trips to Home Depot because I didn't have a metal blade for the jig saw. The second trip is because I picked up the Bosch brand which has a different shaped end that doesn't fit my jig saw. 

I took off the lid's handle and used that as a template to drill the hole into the center of the pot's bottom.  I attached the lid to the pot with a screw then drilled another hole to keep them from sliding.  I traced the circle using my charcoal basket.  I wish I would have done that before making the basket.  The ties made it a pain to trace.  Drilled the big hole and cut out the bottom and the center of the lid.  When finished, I drilled 4 holes in the combo and attached the pot to the lid with pop rivets.

I also used that jig saw to cut the one end off one of the replacement grills.  This slides past the steamer rim with no trouble. 

I did find that the replacement grills are slightly smaller than the grill that came with the SJS.  The replacement grill doesn't sit as sturdy on the steamer rim as the OEM grill does.  So the OEM grill is my bottom rack by default.

I still have to locate the brass fittings used as holes for the temperature probes.  I have them around the house somewhere, but can't seem to find them yet.

Next on the list is to put in the top rack, but I'm not completely sure where I should put this.  I've seen mention of 4" below the rim or the pot or 3" above the bottom rack.  Any suggestions?

Last edited:
After looking though the other threads and with Case's reply, I went ahead and put the top rack at 4" below the rim of the pot. 

I can't find the lamp repair things in the house, so I'll have to do something differently or get another set of those.

I'll also have to stop by Bass Pro on the way home to get some wood to smoke with.

So the notch is in the pot or the lid?  

I couldn't make the stop at Bass pro today, I was running late.  

Anyone have any suggestions on a good first smoke?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky