Found a burner for smokehouse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey pops would you be able to take some close up pictures of your bronze seal you used for the outside of your doors for me.  I will be needing to seal my doors and am trying to figure out what would be best to use.

Hey pops would you be able to take some close up pictures of your bronze seal you used for the outside of your doors for me.  I will be needing to seal my doors and am trying to figure out what would be best to use.
I apologize for not answering sooner!  It is part no. 51269, UPC 082901512691

bd8c4ea2_001.jpg

Hey Pops, so do you think the valves on your burner are getting sticky because it's in an enclosed area at higher temps?
Oh yes, just need to put a little drop of WD 40 on them occasionally to loosen them up.

Since building the smokehouse, I've added an important component, a housing for the Amazen Pellet Smoker:

From the front:

340332df_010.jpg

From the back:

dd17bd98_018.jpg

holes drilled through the box and the mailbox:

e725c63c_002.jpg

With the pellet smoker inserted, just lit:

6baba10b_005.jpg

I had to shut the front bottom vent and seal around it so it would draw the air through the mailbox, providing enough oxygen to keep the Amazen pellet smoker lit and smoldering and generating smoke with cold smoking.  With hot smoking, with the burner lit, the oxygen creates a draw through the mailbox and generates the smoke easily!  So now you have two options!  Keeping the pellet smoker outside of the box during hot smoking minimizes the risk of the unit getting too hot and igniting the pellets.

You never cease to amaze me,Pops! lol That is a good housing! I wouldn't think the AMNS would get hot enough to cause any dilemma if it were low in the box and near the air supply. Just my thoughts, I know mine stays cool.

You never cease to amaze me,Pops! lol That is a good housing! I wouldn't think the AMNS would get hot enough to cause any dilemma if it were low in the box and near the air supply. Just my thoughts, I know mine stays cool.
Actually, I originally tried that, putting the AMNPS right in front of the lower vent and it wouldn't stay lit; apparently with the propane stove on, it took all the air to keep it ignited.  I moved it up on the drip pan bars and it stayed lit much better, but at about 241° at meat level the pellets caught fire and burned up.  Tried it several times.  So the logical thing was to put it outside the smoker, close off the bottom draft and force the oxygen through the mailbox, keeping the draft up but not overheating the unit.

Right by bottom intake vent:

716f980e_002.jpg

raised up after propane unit and working, but subjected to overheating:

a905ba47_001.jpg

Smoking on trays:

I had a graduation from Therapy Stroke and Acquired Brain Injury Class on Feb. 01, 2012 and I fixed smoked vegetables, smoked chicken and turkey for it.

Showing the versatility of the smokehouse off!  That was all done with Todd's AMNPS and Pitmaster's Blend pellets.  Veggies were cold smoked with no heat and the AMNPS with Pitmaster's Blend, and poultry was hot-smoked with the propane burner and the AMNPS and the Pitmaster's Blend.

Top Tray was all Sliced Portabella Mushrooms..... OMG were they delicious!

Last edited:

Like I'd stated before, I modeled my smokehouse after the commercial units my dad had in his store by Koch.  I was fortunate to find a copy of the flyer my dad used to order his smokehouses from.  As you can see, they're 1940's prices, lol!  Dad's were the "Insulated Smokehouse, Gas or Electric", he had two gas models, powered by propane tanks outdoors right next to the smokehouse.  If it got down 40° Below Zero or more, the propane wouldn't flow and we couldn't run the smokehouses!

pops, I tried to send you a PM, not sure if it sent (my phone is horrible). just in case, I ask here as well. I bought the same burner and hose as you from Northern Tool. I am making a 4 draw vertical cabinet smoker, using the burner and hose from N.T. Should I worry about the temps with the hose in side the cabinet. wouldn't want the hose melting and go boom!!

I am building a smokehouse with this exact burner currently, and although it may not be needed I choose to plumb it outside the house with black iron pipe.  I had to use two brass fittings off the burner because of the male flare end and then to black iron pipe.  For me it is a little more piece of mind than a plastic hose inside the smoker.  

I am building a smokehouse with this exact burner currently, and although it may not be needed I choose to plumb it outside the house with black iron pipe.  I had to use two brass fittings off the burner because of the male flare end and then to black iron pipe.  For me it is a little more piece of mind than a plastic hose inside the smoker.  

that's an excellent idea. I just today bought some 3" nipple black pipe for my amnps mailbox mod, and a gas flex whip so I can have a quick disconnect for my other smoker. the back pipe will work wonders in the filing cabinet smoker, and just run the propane to some special couplings. thanks Harvest!!!

I have checked and rechecked the hose and coupling and it is barely warm; heat rises and it is below the flame, no problem.  However, in the tight space of a metal file cabinet, I would feel safer with a black pipe connection to the outside myself.

Pop's 

Glad you posted your build on here. I went on your recommendation with the burner you got from Northern Tool. Just ordered mine and the hose. I built my smokehouse like Cowgirl's. I will build the foundation tomorrow and hopefully get a burn going real soon.

Thanks for all your knowledge..        
77.gif

I don't remeber if it states it in the thread, but make sure to get a low pressure regulator for the burner. If you decide on another burner, make sure tonget the correct regulator or it will not work as designed.

I bought a stainless steel wrapped hose. No signs of any issues and the smokehouse has gotten to well over 350 at times, mostly stays aeound 250-275.......

I do have an adjustable regulator hooked up to a quick connect that I use for my crawfish burner that I'm planning on using. I will use pipe to get the burner connected to the smoke house wall with a bulkhead fitting and a quick connect. That way I can just unplug my bottle right from the outside and it's solid pipe inside

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky