Formed Bacon from Curley's and Amish Bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Here is the Bologna. It looks the same except you see a little marjoram scattered through it.

The Formed Bacon was defineatly my favorite out of these 2 sausages. Thanks for looking!
That's Great, Todd----And the formed Bacon is easiest to make!  At least it was to me.

Beautiful Job on All !!

Bear

OK, I gotta ask.  How is this bacon? It's a sausage for Pete's sake!!!!

It looks great, it looks delicious, but it is not bacon.
I don't know if Todd or you are old enough to remember this, but when I made this Curly's Bacon, I personally think it tasted very similar to what they used to sell in stores many years ago, called "Sizzlean" (sp). It came sliced in a pack, just like Bacon. I used to love it.

Bear

Yeah, I remember that stuff. It was tasty.

But, my point still stands. It may be bacon shaped, it may sort of taste like bacon. IMO, if it ain't from a pork belly it ain't freakin' bacon.

Yeah, I remember that stuff. It was tasty.

But, my point still stands. It may be bacon shaped, it may sort of taste like bacon. IMO, if it ain't from a pork belly it ain't freakin' bacon.
It tastes different when it is cold and hot. I still don't know exactly how to describe it cold but when you put a piece in your mouth your reaching for another before you swallow. To me when it is fried it tastes like bacon. I did add 4 cups of non fat powdered milk to it which may have changed the taste somewhat. It tastes more like belly bacon than buck board bacon does. Give it a try some time, everyone I gave some to thinks it is very good.

Here is the Bologna. It looks the same except you see a little marjoram scattered through it.

The Formed Bacon was defineatly my favorite out of these 2 sausages. Thanks for looking!
That's Great, Todd----And the formed Bacon is easiest to make!  At least it was to me.

Beautiful Job on All !!

Bear
Thanks Bear!

What size is that?   4 inch?

I used to get big stuff made like that,  fits a piece of bread great.

Looks great.
Yes, 4". I ordered 2 -5 packs from Curley's with the formed bacon kit. I figured since I was spending money on a shipping box they might as well fill it up.

Man you are making me want to get my old stuffer out.

That looks just amazing. I make a lot of summer sausage and snack sticks and have been wanting to find a good recipe for amish bologna....gonna have to try this one.

Kuddos 
icon14.gif

Hey Todd, when you fry it, does it taste it different depending on the thickness of the slice? My attempts have tasted like bacon when thin sliced and fried, but more like ham if it's sliced thick.
I never could figure out why

Last edited:
Hey Todd, when you fry it, does it taste it different depending on the thickness of the slice? My attempts have tasted like bacon when thin sliced and fried, but more like ham if it's sliced thick.
I never could figure out why
I noticed that with BBB. I fried odd size pieces from slicing and it all tasted the same to me when fried. Belly bacon is still the best but I think I like Formed Bacon better than BBB.

Man I hate using mixes but I think I'm going to have to give this one a try.

Woodcutter that looks great very nice job
Thanks DS!
Same here. I don't feel too bad because the price seems fair. I would still like to figure out the recipe. Everything I searched went back to Curley's site or SMF.

Reactions: DanMcG

Thanks DS!

Same here. I don't feel too bad because the price seems fair. I would still like to figure out the recipe. Everything I searched went back to Curley's site or SMF.
Dan & Todd,

A few years ago, I bought two "Curly's Venison Bacon" mixes to save shipping charges.

I used Half Pork & half Beef, and followed Curly's directions..

I personally found it to be bland, so I started playing around with my own mix.

The final result was my "Bear Loaf", except my Bear Loaf is 100% Beef.

If you try my seasonings in my Bear Loaf Step by Step below, but use the same meat you used in the Curly's Bacon Mix, I think you'll be surprised that it's actually better. IMHO

BTW: I still have that second pack of Curly's Venison Bacon in the box it came in 4 years ago.

Try all of these seasonings, but use the same meat you used with Curly's Bacon mix:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/106904/smoked-bear-loaf-hot-all-beef

If you don't believe me, just cut the amounts, using the same % of each item, and the right amount of cure for the amount of meat you're using.

Bear

Thanks DS!

Dan & Todd,

A few years ago, I bought two "Curly's Venison Bacon" mixes to save shipping charges.

I used Half Pork & half Beef, and followed Curly's directions..

I personally found it to be bland, so I started playing around with my own mix.

The final result was my "Bear Loaf", except my Bear Loaf is 100% Beef.

If you try my seasonings in my Bear Loaf Step by Step below, but use the same meat you used in the Curly's Bacon Mix, I think you'll be surprised that it's actually better. IMHO

BTW: I still have that second pack of Curly's Venison Bacon in the box it came in 4 years ago.

Try all of these seasonings, but use the same meat you used with Curly's Bacon mix:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/106904/smoked-bear-loaf-hot-all-beef

If you don't believe me, just cut the amounts, using the same % of each item, and the right amount of cure for the amount of meat you're using.

Bear
Thanks Bear! I will try it when I get through most of this sausage. I'll save some to compare.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky