Forgive me Father, for I have wrapped! - -Brisket content

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbrtt1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Ok, so I have preached against wrapping anything for some time now. But I got a new toy last week and been feeling a bit frisky and experimental. Just kinda looking for a change. Started re-researching brisket techniques decided to wrap my brisket in paper (more on that in a minute). 

I have used a Smoking-It #2 for a couple years and done lots of good briskets. I never wrapped so I could get really good bark. I wrapped a flat a time or 2 when I first started but did't get much bark. At least not to my liking. Well, I picked up a pellet smoker last week (Posted a bit on that in the Pellet smoker sub forum) and in the spirit of open mindedness and experimentation did a little test with ribs. I did one rack no wrap and one got wrapped for about 1.25 hours. The wrapped still had some bark on it (rib bark, not big time brisket bark). This set the wheels a turnin'. 

See, I saw a couple videos of competition guys do some briskets with wrapping and there was still come good bark. One guy wrapped at the ~ 4 hour or so mark, more specifically when he saw there was good color and some bark formation. Then I ran across a wonderful video of Franklin, brisket God of Franklin's BBQ fame in Austin. He did a test where he did one brisket without wrapping, one wrapped in foil about half way through and one wrapped in butcher paper. He says he does his with butcher paper for his restaurant. His theory is that it lets the brisket breathe a little instead of a full out simmer when wrapped in foil. Paper still helps insure moistness. In short, as you can predict, the foil wrapped had the softest bark and lightest smoke flavor, the no wrap had dense bark and lost of smokiness and the paper wrapped was somewhere in between. 

Soooo.... my theory is that in the #2 I need all the cook time to develop adequate bark (likely due to excessive moisture), but with the pellet smoker I get good color and bark formation at the 4-6 hour mark thereby allowing for a wrap but still getting good bark. And I wanted to try the paper wrap. The problem was I couldn't find proper butcher paper like Franklin uses. So I tried parchment paper. Well, parchment paper is more like a foil wrap since it is not permeable. At least mine wasn't. But the brisket was awesome. Really awesome. The flat was epic. Really epic. AND IT HAD BARK. Even my wife, who doesn't like BBQ or brisket (she hid that from me until after the wedding) liked it. In fact she is taking some to work tomorrow to share with some girlfriends. 

Anyway, sorry to be long winded, but I had to get that out and explain my wrapping journey. I will pursue proper butcher paper and give that a shot, but I firmly believe now that I could use foil and achieve similar results by delaying the wrap a bit longer. 

The brisket was rubbed the night before with brown sugar and a touch of rub (Fast Eddy rubs the meat with brown sugar for several hours),  9 hour smoke using pecan/oak pellets and boosted with the AMZNPS with hickory in it and a 4 hour rest: 

Here she is:

Probe in there to verify what the smokers probe is saying:

After the 4 hour rest:

The flat

The point:

Reactions: ak1 and dukeburger
Looks great!!
drool.gif

I've only wrapped a brisket during the cook once, and to me it wound up tasting more like a pot roast than BBQ. So I just stopped doing it.

I rest mine in wrapped in butcher's paper, maintains the bark nicely.

Yours looks fantastic!! Points!

Looks great!!
drool.gif

I've only wrapped a brisket during the cook once, and to me it wound up tasting more like a pot roast than BBQ. So I just stopped doing it.

I rest mine in wrapped in butcher's paper, maintains the bark nicely.

Yours looks fantastic!! Points!
Yeah, I had that happen when I first started. I think when you wrap and what you wrap it in will vary the results quite a bit. 

33.gif
  Do I or don't I never have but maybe it will work if do at the right time and the right kind of wrap. Again here we are at personal preference. But I will say it looks great.

Looks like a fantastic brisket! I have done it both ways. Never used butcher paper though but I may try it one day. I don't wrap in foil but rather pan it and cover it with foil but leave a corner or two folded back to let the steam escape. I also pour a few ounces of a good stout dark beer in the bottom of the pan. The last brisket I did in this way was just super.

I think using the pan with a couple of the corners folded back is similar to the butcher paper wrap and lets the brisket breathe.

Not to mention you have a nice pan of juices for making that great au jus!

Reactions: kboss714
That brisket looks so tasty and liked the info on wrapping the brisket. Thinking of wrapping my next brisket.

That looks amazing. I too am going to try wrapping with paper this weekend on my first brisket in about a year. I can't find the brown paper that Franklin's uses but I called the butcher shop I buy most of my meat from and they told me to swing back in and they would give me some, their's is the white paper, I assume it will work fine. One question though, what temp did you pull that at? It's been so long since I've done a brisket that I cannot remember what temp I went with last time. I know it varies from 195-205, but I'm curious what temp you went with because that looks amazing after slicing.

Try Oren International. They have an Amazon page in the US. Think 18' x 150ft is about $29. If you spend over $49 it's free shipping I think. You want pink / peach counterkraft butcher's paper.

Thanks. Unfortunately I won't be able to get that here in time to smoke this piece of meat. I'm not doubting you, but I'm curious what the difference in the paper is? I'm ignorant when it comes to butchers paper. Basically since I only have the white paper, I should just not wrap it at all, unless I choose to use foil? I don't like using foil, but if the white paper won't work I may have to due to weather conditions. 

Thanks. Unfortunately I won't be able to get that here in time to smoke this piece of meat. I'm not doubting you, but I'm curious what the difference in the paper is? I'm ignorant when it comes to butchers paper. Basically since I only have the white paper, I should just not wrap it at all, unless I choose to use foil? I don't like using foil, but if the white paper won't work I may have to due to weather conditions. 

I have been mailing Oren and they said they haven't had good reviews using it. Guess it makes things taste funny?

I'll be sticking to foil until they have a distributor in the UK.

Once I first wrapped a brisket in butcher paper, i never looked back
Do it every time i cook brisket now
4 to 5 hour mark is abouy right, just when it looks just right

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky