First Timer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hunter09

Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
Well after reading on here the last few days I figured I might as well join. I have been interested in getting into smoking for a while and my wife got me a smoker for Christmas, so I plan to put it to use starting this weekend. She got me a Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 2 door gas smoker. I am planning to do a pork butt and a fatty this weekend. Definitely open to any suggestions or advice. Found a lot of very useful information on here already.

welcome1.gif
Hunter, you've come to the right place.  Glad to have ya. Only suggestion I have is make sure ya post pics so we can all join in on the adventure. 

Also, congrats on the new toy.  You will be addicted before ya know it.

Mark

:welcome1: to your new addiction and to SMF!

Advice, hmm...

Good thermometers, don't trust the factory ones in the smoker. Maverick is a good one.

Patience! Smoking metates and sauce takes a long time now and then. Patience is the key.

Don't try and cook to time, meat has a mind of its own and will cook faster or slower from cook to cook. Yes, you can kind of plan for a finish time, but leave yourself some wiggle room.

Don't be your own worst critic. It takes time to get to where you can consistently turn out good stuff. The great thing about this hobby is that you can eat your mistakes!

Finally, ask questions and post pictures of your results. We love both of those!

Again, welcome to the group and have fun!

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum from a cloudy cool day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of                   great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky