First time smoker.... can't get any smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike3891

Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Bought the masterbuilt 44 inch smoker. Never smoked before but we loved it when our friends did so got one for ourselves. I grabbed a bag of the kingston wood chips when I bought the smoker. I can't get a good smoke though. I got very minimal smoke at all out of them. I've had it at 300-350 degrees for hours and tried putting it on my regular grill first at 400-500 degrees and barely get anything. Not even enough smoke for the burner door to fill up and only a few mins of smoke. I switched the chip try out for a cast iron skillet. Didn't even try the tray based on what I read up on before even buying it. The chips just go black after a while. Any ideas?

I don't have a propane smoker, but I'd try wood chunks instead of chips. 

The reason I say so is I use wood chips in my charcoal grill for short smokes, 20 minutes or less.  For longer smokes I use chunks, and can go for hours when I do so. 

I'll have to try the chunks. Eventually I tried using the original chip pan instead of the cast iron like most people say to use and I got smoke. Definitely doesn't last long and when I add more it takes forever to start smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky