First time overnight brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sphinxj13

Original poster
May 23, 2020
Hi,
I'm pretty new to smoking and looking to get some input. I would like to smoke a brisket overnight and will be using electric smoker. I'm planning on starting it at around 10pm and eating at about 5pm. What does everyone suggest for the temperature to cook at overnight? Any tips would be appreciated. TIA

As long as you are not cooking at 300° (or making a Smoky Hale 215° brisket), I can't believe it will take more than 9 or 10 hours, and I like to hold them in a hotbox for at least 3 hours. I'm thinking the breakdown will be around 6 hours on the smoker, and 3 to 4 hours wrapped, back on the smoker with some beefy broth in the foil, then rest in the hot box.

Last edited:
Thanks, new to all this and didn't know if it made any difference smoking it slower and longer.

I start my briskets and butts around midnight. 225/230 degrees. Up at 6, check temp then breakfast and morning chores till done.

Reactions: Sphinxj13
First cut about 7lbs

Hi there and welcome!

I believe u are doing a flat cut. At a smoker temp of 275F a pound a naked cooked 7lb flat should take about 8-9 hours if u don't open the door to mess with it BUT it is only done when it is tender not based on time and not on one specific internal temp (IT). Use the IT to tell u when to start checking for tenderness and know that it is tender when u stab all over with a kabob skewer and u get no resistance.

When timing for briskets and pork butts/shoulders always add 4 hours to your time estimate so you can ensure it is done by the time u want to eat.
So lets say this flat is going to take 8 hours before it probes tender. If you want to eat at Noon you put it on the smoker 12 hours earlier so at Midnight!
If it finishes 4 hours early (8am) you quickly tightly double wrap it in foil and then tightly wrap in 3 bath towels and set on the counter. It will be piping hot 4 hours later when it is time to cut and serve. If it takes more time than an just over an hour a pound or you are opening the lid you have an extra 4 hours of buffer to ensure people arent showing up and waiting to eat for hours.

Do this and you should be golden on time estimations.

Finally, with a flat I would say take the IT to 180-185F then put in 2 layers of foil, splash a little water into it so there is some moisture in there and wrap it. Flats can dry out on u and doing this should ensure u get enough smoke and bark so that it comes out a success until you have more smokes under your belt without people waiting on you to finish so they can eat lol.

I hope this info helps! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky