First time making bacon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fatboy-bill

Original poster
Dec 18, 2014
Doing bacon for the first time,
I'm using MTQ
Thickest part is 2"
Used a temp prob in a potato, and the coldest I can get is 38/39 degrees.
December 29th@ 10:00pm it went into the fridge, turning every day.
MTQ states 1"/week, so this would bring it to January 12th.
Would it be safe to smoke this Sunday, removing it and washing it Saturday morning?
If not the next time that I would be able to smoke it would be Sunday the 17th. I will be cold smoking.
Thank you for your help.

Doing bacon for the first time,
I'm using MTQ
Thickest part is 2"
Used a temp prob in a potato, and the coldest I can get is 38/39 degrees.
December 29th@ 10:00pm it went into the fridge, turning every day.
MTQ states 1"/week, so this would bring it to January 12th.
Would it be safe to smoke this Sunday, removing it and washing it Saturday morning?
If not the next time that I would be able to smoke it would be Sunday the 17th. I will be cold smoking.
Thank you for your help.
The method I've been using for 6 years would go like this. (Learned it on this forum):

2 days per inch, plus another 2 for safety. Then I have since added 2 or 3 more days(depending on which day I want to do it on) for safety.

So 2 " X 2 days = 4

4 + 2 = 6

6 + 2 or 3 = 8 or 9 days

So I would Start the Pellicle after 8 or 9 days in TQ Dry cure.

Smoke on the next day or 2, but a few days longer won't hurt anything.

Here's a Good one:

Bacon (Extra Smoky)

Bear

Last edited:
Thanks. Why does Mortons have such a long period of time, to cover their butt?

Thanks. Why does Mortons have such a long period of time, to cover their butt?
I would assume that, because if people have their Fridge too cold, it could take longer.

Fridge is best between 35° and 39°. I keep mine at 37°.

I've been using this formula for 6 years, and I always check for cure to center, and have never had one that didn't get all the way to center.

If the cure gets to the center, it is done curing.

Bear

Last edited:
Going by SMF standards and recommendations, when it comes to Cure. It is best to follow the Manufactures Instructions as some contain different proportions of Nitrite and Nitrate and the manufacturer is the best source on how it's used, how much and for how long...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky