First time brisket smoke - help with timing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cswinton

Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
Salt Lake City, Utah
I'm going to be doing my first smoked brisket on Monday and need some help with ballpark timing so I can plan accordingly (I have to work around a lot of kid carpooling and such ;)  I'm planning on cooking two ~8-9lb briskets on a 22" WSM. I've smoked a lot of other meats on the WSM so operating that within the desired temperature range shouldn't be a challenge. For my first cook I plan to foil at 160-165 degrees and put back until done. Assuming I keep my WSM 225-250 from start to finish, what would a typical time be from start to foil and then from foil to completion?  Obviously there are a lot of variables, but I'm trying to plan things so we can have meat ready to eat by 5pm.  I'm guessing planning to finish by 3-4pm with some rest time (for me and the meat) is best.

I don't have the luxury of winging it and seeing how long it takes on my own for this one so I'm asking for some guidance!

At 225-250 you would figure about 1 1/2 hours per pound.

So a ballpark time would be about 12-13 hours.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky