First Time Brisket Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sweenner

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Pulaski, NY
Good morning all.

I am having family over this weekend and wanted to try something different. For gatherings I have normally done pulled pork, but wanted to do a brisket this time. I have a 14 lb. packer that I will be smoking in my MES 40. I have honestly not tried any beef outside of some short ribs that I did once. 

So I am looking for some guidance. My wife would like to aim for a 3PM meal on Sunday, so I would obviously like to have it out and in a cooler about an hour before that (in a perfect world). So I guess what I am looking for is a rough time on how these cook, I know I want to pull it around 195°- 200°. Also, should I inject or shouldn't I? .. keep the dry rub simple or go for some more complexity ..

Will do my best to keep updates of this as it unfolds this weekend (updates of past smokes always seem to get forgotten about, I blame the beer).

I am now turning this over to the experts.

Thanks for the help!

I do brisket all the time.  I'd run it at 250 for about 12 hours. When internal gets to about 150 it will  stall for 4-5 hours, just wrap it tight in foil to get over the stall and preserve moisture.   keep rub simple salt and pepper, and use oak if you have. An incredible guide is the Franklin BNBQ videos. He has been named best BBQ in the USA for about 5 years runnin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you still want to wrap in using an electric? And the only reason I asked about the injecting is I have seen people argue both ways. I don't inject pork butts when I do them...beef is just a new animal all together for me. Literally.

I watched the videos in that link, right before lunch, and now want a big ol' plate of brisket.....

I have done a couple of briskets now. I am a novice, no expert for sure. Both of them were 13 pounds to start.

My smoker was not wide enough to accommodate the brisket in one piece so I cut it at the flat end of it and put the smaller portion on a separate rack. Electric Masterbuilt 36.

I think the first one turned out better than the second and that's because I became impatient at the stall time and ended up taking it out too soon on the second one . Let it ride!

For a rub, I went simple and used primarily brown sugar mixed with salt, pepper and garlic powder. I did not and would not inject this piece of meat.

The other thing that I read here was trim or not to trim. My first one I trimmed just a little but left most all of the fat. My second one I trimmed quite a bit more and again I think that played a difference in the flavor, and moisture. Trim a little but not very much!

Also, do a search on the forums here for burnt ends - aka meat candy! Again, I did this with both and it was incredible. The neighbors came over for dinner and we about made ourselves sick because we could not stop eating the burnt ends. Basically, at finish time, take the point and and cut it and cube it into 1 inch or so square chunks. Put them in an aluminum foil pan and generously cover them with more of your rub.
Put them back into the smoker for 1 to 2 hours. They were crazy good!

I am a smoker novice so just take this for what it is worth. This is what I did based on advice from the forums here and the brisket was awesome! I can pick up a 13 pound Packer for 40 bucks at my local butcher shop.

I think I know what is on the menu now for this weekend!

If I were to roll back the temp to around 225°, what do you think that would do as far as time is concerned? I am aware that you should never plan to do this stuff based on time, but at least with prior experience .. even a big pork butt usually went about 90 minutes per pound, and an hour in a cooler, give or take a little. I guess, how long can I wrap one an leave it in a cooler if it does finish early? I have heard anywhere from 1 to 4 hours, is that right? 4 hours seems like long time no? I am thinking that If it goes on at 10P on Saturday evening, we should hopefully be done in time to start cutting and serving at 3P Sunday. At least that the plan...

Now I just need to decide on a rub and if I am doing beans or not.

If I were to roll back the temp to around 225°, what do you think that would do as far as time is concerned? I am aware that you should never plan to do this stuff based on time, but at least with prior experience .. even a big pork butt usually went about 90 minutes per pound, and an hour in a cooler, give or take a little. I guess, how long can I wrap one an leave it in a cooler if it does finish early? I have heard anywhere from 1 to 4 hours, is that right? 4 hours seems like long time no? I am thinking that If it goes on at 10P on Saturday evening, we should hopefully be done in time to start cutting and serving at 3P Sunday. At least that the plan...

Now I just need to decide on a rub and if I am doing beans or not.
I've pulled a wrapped brisket out of a cooler after 6 hours and it was still hot. Finish earlier than you think you need to, it will sit just fine and you'll feel in less of a panic when you're cooking. 

sweenner

Watch the Franklin video, he will show you how to trim.  Keep the rub to salt and pepper.  I wrap at 160* with butcher paper.

Follow Chef Jimmy J's recipe for au jus.  Let it rest for an hour or more. Take pictures and let us know how it turns out.  

Take notes to follow on your next brisket.

Good luck and have fun.

Teddy

I like the idea of the au jus, hadn't thought of doing that. I will be taking pictures/notes for sure .. and with any luck a good play by play for the updates.

Russ recommended oak, but I think its the one wood I don't currently have. I do have Hickory, Mesquite, Maple, Apple, Cherry, and Pecan. not sure which I will be using yet. Thoughts?

Was taking a look at the au jus recipe last night, if I let this go through the whole smoke, should water be added at any point? And if so, how much? 4-6 cups of beef broth seems like it should hold up for quite a while.

I am also thinking of doing some beans. Anyone have any tired and true recipes they care to share? Will have to keep the spice to a minimum, just because of the group tomorrow...

sweenner,

The broth should hold up you could even use some red wine. Dutch's wicked baked bean recipe here is very good you'll have to adjust spices to your taste. 

Teddy

So I want to apologize for the delayed response. Between having a sick baby last week, and my son being in town for spring break, I haven't had a chance to update anyone. The smoke was a success, but not without a couple hick ups.

I ended up using a simple kosher salt and coarse black pepper rub (1/2 teaspoon per pound).

Everything was seemed to be going good at 2a when I checked the temps, the MES was humming along at 225°, and the brisket was around 140°. Time for some shut eye.

When I got up at 7:30a I noticed that my chamber temperature was struggling and was only hanging around 200°, with the brisket itself only at 144°. You can see in the picture that I was also doing Chef Jimmy J's recipe for au jus. With the temps running so low, I wasn't sure what to do .. or what the culprit was. I know that the temp outside had dropped to down to just above 0° overnight. Even in the garage, it was cold. At this point I didn't have a choice but to move to the brisket into the oven. With the oven per heated for 225°, I  and moved the brisket and the au jus pan into the oven.  

So my first thought was I was drafting in some seriously cold air overnight, but upon inspection I could feel the warm air rising out. I then noticed that with the smoker being empty, the temp and actually recovered and was holding at 225°. After talking to a couple of my brother in laws over some bacon and morning beers, we concluded that the amount of liquid that was in the tray for the au jus was causing the problem.

After about 90 minutes had passed, the brisket temp had actually shot up to 163°. The decision was made to put the brisket back in the smoker and let it run till it was done. At around 11a, I put a tray of Gary's Smoked Baked Beans in http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/201533/garys-smoked-baked-beans, which I have to say will be repeated many times. OUTSTANDING.

The brisket came out at 2p, with an IT of 196°, and was wrapped and put in a cooler for about an hour, until the remaining guests arrived. Both the brisket and beans were a big hit, and easily fed 10 adults and 5 children, with some to spare.

The tray of completed beans. I made some MINOR changes to Gary's recipe .. but like I said, they will get made again.

This is actually the only shot I got of the completed brisket. When it came out of the smoker I wanted to get it wrapped and in the cooler as fast as I could with it being so cold on the garage. And once everyone was at the house I pulled it out of the cooler and started cutting to serve, without even thinking that I hadn't gotten a picture.

All and all a good smoke and learning experience. If I could change one thing about what I did, it would be that I would have the butcher trim up the cap for me. Having never don it I didn't want to take to much off ... and in turn left a bit much on in some spots.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky