First Smoked Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnygrant

Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Temecula, CA

Hey guys, I need a little input! I bought a 9.1# packaged brisket from Stater Bros., seasoned it with a rub, put it in a foil covered tray in the fridge, and let it sit overnight. I pre-heated my smokehouse to 140 degrees, put the brisket in, also put a water pot in there as well, and then raised my temp up to 250 over the next hour. Once the internal temp on the point end of the brisket reached 145, I wrapped it in foil, and continued smoking till the internal temp reached 185. I pulled it out after 7.5 hrs - 185 IT, left it in the foil wrap & wrapped it in a towel, and put in the warm ice chest for an hour. The brisket was great with flavor, had the same coloring throughout, but was a little dry. Any pointers on why it may have been a little dry?

You didn't cook it long enough.

Most briskets won't be done until 195-205 IT.

When they get to 190 start to check them with a toothpick or wood skewer.

It should go in with little to no resistance, like room temp butter.

Also unless you don't like much bark I wouldn't foil until around 165 or when the temp stalls.

Personally I don't foil my briskets at all, unless I'm running out of time & I have a bunch of hungry people standing around wondering when they can eat.

Al

SmokinAl,

Thanks! I had a feeling I pulled it a little early. Maybe I followed tje wrong recipe. The recipes out there are all over the map. Still tastes good, and it won't go to waste.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky